Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Stanford: Intellectual Vitality (A Hunger for Knowledge)

pinkstarbaby 6 / 15  
Stanford is the last college I need to send my application to and it would mean a lot if you guys critique my essay! :-) I'll return the favor.

I eat about seven meals daily, and I spend half of my allowance eating in restaurants and the nearest café. You can obviously tell that I have an obsession with food, but my fascination for all things edible does not stop at the dinner table. Now I've been told countless of times not to play with my food, but my penchant for experimenting with what I eat often overcomes me. This strange hobby probably started at the age of nine, when my mother served us boiled eggs for lunch. Disappointed with how the eggs looked, I bought a dozen of eggs at the supermarket to achieve the perfect boiled egg. It took seven minutes for the yolk to achieve an orange-yellow hue. Boiling the egg in salted water resulted in an egg whose shell was easy to remove. The trickiest job was keeping the yolk in the center of the egg. After several attempts, I finally came up with the conclusion that the egg needed to be spun around while boiling. This would cause the yolk to stay in place as it was solidifying. Now we always have flawless deviled eggs. Sometimes, as I take a bite out of a dish, my initial reaction is not "Delicious!" but "How?". Curious as to how tiny jellybeans were manufactured, I spent hours researching the process of making jellybeans. I also enjoy linking food with health and lifestyle. My mother is a self-proclaimed chocoholic, but I questioned the medical accuracy behind chocolate addiction. My research has concluded that although chocolate contains theobromine and tryptophan, chocoholism is nothing more than social construct. As an Asian, it always baffled me how the Japanese diet greatly contrasted with the American diet. After delving deep into the lifestyles of each country, it wasn't so shocking anymore. Whether it's finding out the truth behind food advertisements (makes you want to think twice about drooling over that burger), or enjoying the chemistry that goes into creating a meringue, food has always spurred my curiosity. Just as the day I stop eating will never arrive, so will my hunger for knowledge never be satisfied.

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford: Intellectual Vitality (A Hunger for Knowledge)