Stanford Intellectually Engaged Essay- "Delving into Dali and Disney"

Astraea7 4 / 10  
I can divide my life into Disney and Post-Disney phases. The classic flow of aesthetic imagery in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty was a central part of my childhood imagination and kept me satisfied in a comfortable world of predictable outcomes. As I grew older, I left that world to experience art forms that made me question Disney's obvious path. The works of Salvador Dali were the most striking of these forms. His use of absurd, iconic images in a dark and unforgettable style of the impossible shocked and intrigued me. When I heard of the film "Destino," by both Disney and Dali, my initial thought was "Why?" Why combine the simplistic clarity of Disney with the strange, revolutionary ideas of Dali? I found my answer in the masterpiece that is "Destino." The film is a story of lovers in an ever-changing dreamlike landscape while the melancholic elements of time and space conspire against them. A brief vignette of human yearnings, it shows the sad human condition in a visual love poem. The artists' strengths are apparent from the description. Disney thrives in the magic of love, while Dali delves into elements that tear the lovers apart. The characters are attractive, a staple in Disney films, but the appearance of clown-like tortoises and grotesque eyeballs screams Dali's influence. I couldn't stop watching. While Disney and Dali were combining their unique talents, I was combining the child and young adult within me for a complete sensual and intellectual experience. At first I desired a happy ending for the two, but I was soon captivated by the idea of an impossible love, forever suspended in time. Without this film, I never would have believed in a collaboration of the two artists without each sticking out like a sore thumb. "Destino" harmoniously fused the visual powerhouses in a way that enabled me to re-experience a childhood hero while appealing to my love of artistic boundary-breaking.

It's roughly 100 characters too long, but I know I can get it smaller. What do you think?
OP Astraea7 4 / 10  
Any opinion or help is greatly appreciated
nevereon 1 / 2  
Please post your prompt / topic description so that I can critique the relevance and application of your essay. When it comes to the use of English I think it is great. Your grammar is fine and it flows naturally. Certain choices of words seem a little odd to me however but perhaps I am not the best judge of that. Don't worry about it being 100 words too long because certain sentences are quite redundant. I'm sure you can remove a few and cut to the chase so to say.

Feel free to check out my essay for the UC applications as well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
OP Astraea7 4 / 10  
"Stanford students are known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging."
ShaunMac611 2 / 4  
You should focus more on the concept of an "impossible love" and why this is intellectually stimulating to you. If you can relate it to your life, maybe you had some "impossible love" in your life at a point, then i think it would give your piece some extra dimension.

It was actually really really good though, and i don't claim to be good at critiquing so not sure if my suggestions are even applicable. Nice word choice and good choice of topic. "I can divide my life into Disney and Post-Disney phases" pretty much summed up my life.
Hi Maggie, you always give great feedback to others; I want to mention that it is okay to give someone feedback and then link them to your essay and ask them to return the favor.

Great first sentence here!

The classic flow of aesthetic imagery in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty was a central part of my childhood imagination and kept me satisfied in a comfortable world of predictable outcomes.

Okay, you have a great discussion here...

I couldn't stop watching.

As Disney and Dali were combining their unique talents, I was combining the child and young adult within in me for a complete sensual and intellectual experience. At first I desired a happy ending for the two, but I was soon captivated by the idea of an impossible love, forever suspended in time. ---maybe just let it end here. This would be a good ending.Without this film, I never would have believed in a collaboration of the two artists without each sticking out like a sore thumb.

I tried to reduce the character count. If there is room, keep this great sentence! ---> "Destino" harmoniously fused the visual powerhouses in a way that enabled me to re-experience a childhood hero while appealing to my love as a celebration of artistic boundary-breaking.

Cool, Maggie...

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Intellectually Engaged Essay- "Delving into Dali and Disney"