Stanford Essay: From A Job to "Pass the Time" to Lessons LEarnt - extracurricular activity

Xevoz 3 / 5  
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences. (150 word limit.)

Over the last five years, I have been part of my church's technical department. I took up a position on the team after a member had departed for college. Beginning as understudy, I learnt and observed the basics and of the department how it functioned. I soon found myself promoted to head of the projection system where I was tasked with projecting the sermon and choir's songs on the big screen as well as recording and making disks of the church's messages. As part of the department, I gained crucial team management skills, which I had four years to refine as I joined the department at the young age of twelve. I also learnt how to work under pressure, tight schedules, and how to improvise when necessary. Ultimately taking up a position with the technical department has helped me become a more well-rounded person.
Vin 1 / 7 2  
Not much to criticice here. Short, on the point but still shows what you gained thru the work. Only one thing confuses me: first you write "over the last five years", but then its "I had four years to refine" - now, is it four or five years?
OP Xevoz 3 / 5  
My bad. I was rushing and I overlooked that. Thanks for pointing that out Vin
I took up a position on the team after a member had departed for college.

... I don't see this is really necessary to say. I like if you remove this sentence from the response.

I soon found myself promoted to head of the projection system where I was tasked with projecting the sermon and choir's songs on the big screen as well as recording and making disks of the church's messages

.... tell why your position got elevated to that level. What contributed for such a decision - it is your hard work, talent, PR skills? You need to clear that out in the beginning of this line.

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Essay: From A Job to "Pass the Time" to Lessons LEarnt - extracurricular activity