Stanford Roommate Essay-One of the weirdest things you may read

NeoGeo 5 / 11  
What would you want your future roommate to know about you? Tell us something about yourself that will make your future roommate-and us-get to know you better.

I want my roommate to understand (and hopefully like!) the paradoxical nature of myself. This topic is very cliché, yet I feel that writing about the contradictory facets of my life will reveal the most significant qualities about myself. Here goes everything:

A former hypochondriac, videogame enthusiast, and amateur partier, I may be one of the most interesting combination of qualities and interests that has graced the face of this Earth. Not really of course, but I sometimes like to think of myself like that. I occasionally feel proud, and sometimes arrogant of this fact, that me, a top gun, high school scholar, defies so many of the "archetypal" nerd qualities. Yes, I enjoy studying quantum mechanics and famous dictators, so I will never be able to escape the often negatively-connotative geek or nerd title.

However, while I'm studying multivariable calculus or writing my college essays like any "scholar" would normally be doing, I'm oftentimes distracted by other things. Instead of asking myself, "What should I do to find the derivative of this three-dimensional function?" I may internally inquire, "Are there any parties going on tonight?" While hopelessly trying to raise my kill to death ratio in Call of Duty, I'm simultaneously concocting a scheme to woo a girl I'm interested in (said girl changes about once every two weeks).

After little reflection, I've come to the conclusion that in defying my geek stereotype, I've developed a unique code or personality. I feel no obligation to conform to anything: I refuse to like the hip-hop music my friends listen to, often disagree with my friends' political or religious ideas, and am never afraid to let my frank opinion be heard. Future roommate-consider me on the whole, not on my "groupings."
qianmeimei 3 / 14  
wow, you are really unique and frank~ and i can see you through your essay.A good writing!

but i'm not sure whether it will take a little risk if you ask their question in this way~because it's so... unusual~

* i enjoy studying dictators too, but i never admit in my essay ;)

Good luck!
OP NeoGeo 5 / 11  
Thank you so much for your reply! In my first post, I should have prefaced my essay by describing the process in which I wrote it:

After wasting lots of time analyzing myself, trying to figure out what exactly to write about, I decided to write in a semi-stream of consciousness style, where I wrote whatever ideas came into my head. Of course, I'll probably go back and reorganize/heavily edit lots of what I wrote to give my essay a spine, a more coherent/clear, unifying message/theme. I also feel that my essay isn't personal enough, that I don't describe enough of the unique qualities about myself. Did you find this to be true? What would you suggest adding/changing/removing to my work to improve its overall substance/quality. Thank you again!
qianmeimei 3 / 14  
Hi,Alex. I'm convinced that most application would not wrote the essay like you.
It is really refreshing. If you want to let other know you more, you should not just describe, show them.
just like I feel no obligation to conform to anything use a example to show you are a student who are creative and enterprising or...

provide more details to show your unique personality and characters. i think if you can find a few points which you want to emphasize, it may be better. It seems impossible to wirte every aspect of your personality, choose some of them.)

The characters you want to show should not be negative, although it will compromise your writing style~ because you want to be admitted by the university~

Hope this will help`

Good luck
OP NeoGeo 5 / 11  
Thank you again for the feedback, are there any essays of your's you would like me to read?
anhammond 3 / 28  
i agree with the negativity. you could be a the most sarcastic person in the world but the college essay isnt the place for it.

i agree with using an example or two too.
maybe instead of starting out the essay like you did, start with an example of how unique you are. maybe a party scene or your calculus class or something where you can describe your personality without being so direct.

its always better to show rather than tell.
cattiesim - / 3  
I like it! It has to be short so they're not expecting you to convey every facet of your personality, so I don't think it needs as much work as you think it does. You did give examples of not conforming, like not liking hip-hop music (which the admissions officers will probably appreciate).

If you want to add more, maybe you can tie in something about how you don't conform to high school social groupings by being friends with nerds and partiers alike. But only if you're under the word limit and if it actually applies to your life.

It's good though - you're braver than me to call yourself a partier in your essay but I think Stanford will like that, so good for you!

I still have to write this essay and I have no idea what to talk about, but you did a good job of describing yourself.
aikd80cn 4 / 18  
As everyone said, its quite a new thing. almost too new, I think u should keep in mind that the admission office is the actual reader, although they asked you to write to your 'roommate'. but i really enjoyed it !

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Roommate Essay-One of the weirdest things you may read