Stanford Roommate Letter - Schnitzel and Sauerkraut

Vin 1 / 7 2  
Hello together,
I just finished my Stanford Roomate Essay and I would love a second (or third) oppinion. I'm an international student from - you guessed it - Germany and thats what my essay is about as well (It's the ony essay concerning my home country)

Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate -- and us -- know you better. (250 word limit.)

Dear mysterious roommate,
I don't know you, you don't know me - that has to change! So, I will tell you a secret. A big secret, nobody knows except you and me: I - am - German.

Surprising, right? You probably know all the stereotypes connected with Germans, and - although I find them quite inaccurate to describe my fellow people - they are astonishingly true for me. We agreed to meet at 3pm at the cafeteria? You will find me there at 2:45, starring at my watch. A poster is not exactly levelled? This has to be changed immediately! We are stalling in town? Expect me to run five feet in front of you. And don't you dare make a spelling mistake in our party invitations!

Luckily, I'm not the perfect role model of a German citizen. You will find my desk covered with tremendous amounts of papers, books and scribbles. I won't get up before the sun does. And my clothes are not from the 18th century. I'll be honest with you: I have my flaws. But I know them, and together we can ship around them and navigate towards four incredible years. We can gossip about the girls down the hall, share each other's Weltschmerz, and be angry about the big pile of homework together. And maybe you can even explain me this confusing game, involving a long stick, striking small balls across a diamond field.

But now I will tell you an even bigger secret: I hate Sauerkraut.
Looking forward to move in with you,

I'm not 100% sure wheather the topic is good or if my tone is appropiate. I tried to make it a bit more humorous, as my other essays are more serious.

Oh, and should I post my other essays in this thread as well or should Í create a new one?
Thanks very much!
Xevoz 3 / 5  
The topic and content seem good. I feel like I know you a bit. Though you have some dashes (-) in your essay that are unnecessary
Emmanuel222 1 / 2  
I like your essay, make sure you check through though and correct some few spelling errors e.g "starring at my watch" and some others
:D
I enjoyed reading your letter and I'm sure your roommate, if she is a fun loving person, would start liking you instantly. This is quite witty and your writing style gives a good description of your character. I like it :)

Good luck with your application :)
Xevoz 3 / 5  
I really enjoyed this. If we both make it in to Stammy I hope we're roommates.

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Roommate Letter - Schnitzel and Sauerkraut