Stanford Supp: Tetris' impact on my life. Dealing with adversity.

glitterboye 1 / -  
PROMPT:
Tell us about something that is meaningful to you and why. (100 to 250 words)

IJLOZST - tetris letters

IJLOZST. I grew up with these letters. They taught me life lessons and comforted me when life felt chaotic. I am describing the pieces that makeup one of the world's most famous games: Tetris.

Tetris holds a special place in my heart. While others may dismiss games as a waste of time, I see the underlying value in Tetris' simplicity. Its objective is simple: stack pieces, clear lines. But, beyond that, the game has shown me a philosophy that has helped me in another game - life.

Life will always have difficult choices. When the odds are stacked against me, and it seems like any 'piece' I place down will only make things messier, I must remind myself that the game isn't over yet. The best thing for me to do at that moment is to accept that adversity is unavoidable. However, it's my response to the adversity that determines my success. Life can get messy sometimes, but the difference between my success and failure is whether I choose to stay optimistic and try to get back on my feet. Truly losing would be to dwell on the situation forever, because the other pieces will simply pile on if I don't take into perspective the bigger picture.

The game has such a simple concept, but what lies underneath its surface has molded part of my identity. Instead of skimming over my surroundings, I challenge myself to learn from the valuable lessons that hide in plain sight.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much!
Wow! What can I say? This is one of the more interesting responses to this prompt that I have read in a while at this forum. Your explanation of why the game of Tetris is meaningful to you shows that you are a deep thinker who uses logic in life and can see opportunities where others may not. This is an essay that does not have any need for revision. It is perfect in presentation as it is. The language is clear. The intention of every sentence is meaningful. The overall concept and presentation is impressive. You should be proud of what you have written here. It is perfect as it is and ready for submission. I am sure the reviewer will take note of your response. I am hopeful that he will be just as impressed as I am at the moment. Good work. You don't need to extend the response because you have said everything important within these short but highly informative paragraphs. The reviewer will definitely appreciate how your response is direct and does not contain any word fillers just to present a longer essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Supp: Tetris' impact on my life. Dealing with adversity.