Stanford Supplementary Essay #2-Sudoku The Roommate Message

IndoodPossible 2 / 3  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. What would you want your future roommate to know about you? Tell us something about you that will help your future roommate -- and us -- know you better.

I love Sudoku. Every time I pick up a newspaper or a magazine, you can be sure that the only reason I have for doing so is to spelunk for its treasure-the Sudoku puzzle hidden within. To some, the game may only be a confusing amalgam of numbers that can't go here or there. To me, every puzzle, every number, every single one of the 81 squares is an adventure.

Some people recoil from Sudoku because of its difficulty. I, on the other hand, am drawn closer to it for the same reason. Whenever I attempt to solve a Sudoku puzzle, my first priority is always the certain solutions. Only after having scoured every component of the puzzle will I begin to take risks and make guesses for uncertain number positions. If I am fortunate and wary, I will never need to resort to such a course of action. If otherwise, I will spend hours or even days testing whether or not number X will work in location Y, often forgoing food and sleep due to mistakes made through this process.

Personal qualities aside, Sudoku is, at its base, only a recreational activity for me, but it is one I take very seriously. I greatly relish the feeling of triumph that results from making sure that every region, every horizontal, and every vertical is in order, sometimes to the point of excess, so don't be surprised if you walk into the dorm one day and find half-finished Sudoku puzzles scrawled on the walls.

Sincerely,
Your friendly neighborhood Sudoku maniac

I'm sorry in advance for presenting this so late.
mattsaysfierce 3 / 13  
Great topic. I like the way you styled your essay. You communicate your passion for sudoku well. My only criticisms would be that at times, your diction seems to be a bit superfluous. I think a more casual tone would be more appropriate for an essay meant for a roommate. Maybe invite your roommate to a sudoku contest or something.
OP IndoodPossible 2 / 3  
Good point. That kind of diction really does feel out of place in a letter to a friend (unless if I'm just a total knob. :P). I'm gonna focus on fixing that before I turn it in.

Thanks for the help! :D
mattsaysfierce 3 / 13  
No problem! Just in your reply right now, you feel more approachable. Keep it like that. :]
You can't be sorry in advance for being late! Ha ha, or maybe you can in some weird way.. but it sounds weird... :-)

How about a dash here:
...go here or there -- but to me every puzzle, every number, every single one of the 81 squares is an adventure.

This is great, and the reader will enjoy it. I think, though, that you can use Sudoku in order to lead into explaining a few other aspects of your personality. That would make the essay feel complete.
Moonshadow0302 - / 68  
Yes, as Kevin said - perhaps something more about your personality, using Sudoku as a base - show how you like solving problems etc
This is just one aspect of your personality - I think you should touch a bit more on other aspects too

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Supplementary Essay #2-Sudoku The Roommate Message