Stanford Supplements: short answers plus Why Stanford

Juniper_Jumper 5 / 39  
Any suggestions/changes would be greatly appreciated!

Tell us what makes Stanford a good place for you.
Growing up, I always heard my sister talk about the other school in the Bay. She was a loyal Golden Bear, and football season guaranteed briefings on Berkeley standings. Yet, I always wondered about the school a little further south - the one whose campus seemed so filled with intellectual vitality had captured me from the very beginning. As I got my first iPod, I was pleasantly surprised to find Stanford among the first to offer iTunes University programs. From there, I was transported into the virtual world of conversations with the world's great leaders to courses that challenged my imagination.

One lecture that has stuck with me in particular was by Dr. Tina Seelig, the executive director of the entrepreneurship center at Stanford's engineering school. In a lecture on life lessons, Dr. Seelig advised students that "Success is when passion meets opportunity meets the marketplace."

Even as a high school student, I've found that to be true as my experiences grow. The most rewarding experiences for me, such as tutoring and my own personal lunch-time ventures, have happened at the intersection between my passions, an opportunity, and the marketplace (in this case, my school).

More than anything, I believe that Stanford is a place that nurtures curiosity and embraces failure as much as it does success. While the courses that Stanford offers are comparable to those at other universities, the people it draws together and the community it builds is what distinguishes Stanford for me. While I know I don't have the most stellar academic credentials, I believe that my passion and my ability to soundly execute on ideas where they meet the marketplace are reflective of the Stanford tradition of innovation and challenging the status quo.

Name your favorite books, authors, films, and/or musical artists.

Two of my favorite books are "Hardball" and "Alice in Wonderland." While they may seem unrelated at first glance, both discuss posibilities, and each of them have inspired me. "Hardball" added color to Washington and any cosmopolitan society while "Alice in Wonderland" inspired me to dream.

What newspapers, magazines, and/or websites do you enjoy?

Youtube and Facebook epitomize the era we are in. It speaks to the intersection between the global network of people and the individuality of people. A century ago the radio bridged nations. Now Facebook and Youtube are bridging individuals, media, ideas, and designs. I love being a part of it and seeing where it goes.

How did you spend your last two summers?

My passions range from the sciences to the arts, and I have spent the last two summers exploring each. I helped graduate students in physics at UCR with their project by [whats the project?]. Additionally, I've worked in the environmental sciences department and developed my appreciation for the arts through studying classics and music.

What were your favorite events (e.g., performances, exhibits, sporting events, etc.) this past year?

Newspaper interviews have opened the door to many unique opportunities. It's a rewarding experience to be on first name terms with the mayor and to have the opportunity to interview ambassadors from Ghana. These interviews has taught me life lessons about networking.

What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed?

The fall of the USSR was one of the most unexpected and pivotal events in history. It reminds me how critical an interdisciplinary understanding of any situation is. No one anticipated it and the exact dynamics that happened at that time would have been interesting to witness. History may be written by winners, but it is also one of the greatest teachers for the future.

This one is a little long, can you please help shorten?

What five words best describe you?

Passion, resilience, eccentric, versatile, and calm. I am passionate about life, about what I do, such as the piano, tennis, my activities. I love many different things which normally seem incompatible, such as a public speaker who loves math, plays tennis and oboist. But with so many commitments, I've had setbacks, but I am resilient and versatile enough to recover quickly. I deal with problems calmly.

This one is also a little long, can you please help shorten?
mpoper - / 10  
I looks like you're in good shape here. I made some suggestions to the final two questions. Good luck!

My passions range from the sciences to the arts, and I have spent the last two summers exploring each. I helped graduate students in physics at UCR with their project by [whats the project?] . Additionally, I've worked in the environmental sciences department and developed my appreciation for the arts through studying classics and music.

What five words best describe you?

Passion, resilience, eccentric, versatile, and calm. I am passionate about life, about what I do: piano, tennis, public speaker, math, tennis and oboe. But with so many commitments, I have had setbacks [WHY/WHAT SETBACKS?], but I am resilient and versatile enough to recover quickly. I deal with problems calmly.
OP Juniper_Jumper 5 / 39  
Thanks, yeah, I tried to add those, but the word count is killer. 300 characters maximum!
ace 5 / 66 5  
the executive director of the entrepreneurship center at Stanford's engineering school (this line is not neccessary)
You could tell a story that happened during your personal lunch ventures that has made you fit for stanford, you ncould link it to a failure that has helped you become fit to attend stanford...

Am alo struggling with the same essay ama upload it could you please read it. thanx and goodluck!

The fall of the USSR was one of the most unexpected and pivotal events in history. It reminds me how critical an interdisciplinary understanding of any situation is. No one anticipated it and the exact dynamics that happened at that time would have been interesting to witness. History may be written by winners, but it is also one of the greatest teachers for the future (its confussing maybe leave it out it sounds as though winners agr generally bad life teachers)
As I got my first iPod, I was pleasantly surprised to find Stanford among the first to offer iTunes University programs. From there, I was transported---> When you say "As I got my first iPod," it loses my attention for some reason. I think it is because you so abruptly introduce the idea of an iPod and present yourself as a little kid getting his first iPod. I guess i think you should scrap the section about the iPod but keep the description of how her lecture affected you...

I think you should assertively explain that you were very busy with tutoring and your ventures as an entrepreneur. Make up for the mediocre grades by being confident and enthusiastic.

It makes me think of how critical it is to have an interdisciplinary understanding of any situation. No one anticipated it and the exact dynamics that happened at that time would have been interesting to witness. History may be written by winners, but it is also one of the greatest teachers for the future. If you scratch out this cliche at the end, the rest of this response is quite distinct and clear.
Tictac8 4 / 18  
For the five words that describe, I strongly recommend not explaining them. Just list it.

For the favorite event, again list them. Talking about newspaper interviews can be a good experience to write about for the common application activity.

For the what did you do during the summer, add when you did them. For example:
2009: I blah blah...
2008: I blah blah...

I guess the thing is to LIST for many of these short takes. There simply isn't enough room to provide a in depth explanation for your answer.
JennieHeartsYou 2 / 6  
question...doesn't it say that you should answer the profile questions in two lines or less? because yours are a little longer... just a thought
OP Juniper_Jumper 5 / 39  
Profile questions? For Stanford the supplements restrict the short ones to 300 characters and 1800 for the short answer. What are the profile questions?

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Supplements: short answers plus Why Stanford