Stanford writing supplement ; letter to my roommate.

Ro4 9 / 21  
Hey Roomie,
I can't wait to meet you. You see, I love to meet new people. I like to experience the diversity; the different ways of thinking, expressions, sense of humor, preferences and character traits. I love it when I meet a person and the encounter affords me a totally different perspective on issues. I yearn to understand people and why they do what they do, probably explains my fascination with psychology. I believe in honesty. The truth is most at times unpleasant but I'll rather it be let out than kept hidden. Curiosity, they say killed the cat. Well thank God I'm not a cat because if I were I'd have died ages ago. When I see something new that interests me, I try to find out all I can about it. I hope you don't get irritated by the philosophical quotes sprinkled in my diction. My love for philosophy is only surpassed by my love for psychology. Forgive me when I come off as hyperactive, prudish, blunt or naïve, those are some of my flaws. Please don't let my eccentricities bother you. You may actually find them refreshing or at least amusing. It will be really cool if you like music so that we can listen to tracks together. If you're not very talkative, no worries, I can carry on a conversation with little prompt. Always expect the unexpected from me, I never cease to surprise. I'm looking forward to our adventure at Stanford University.

Love,
Ro.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

You should always approach this essay as though it would be used to match you with a roomate. What will the person matching you learn about you from this essay? I did not really learn much in terms of actual substance. Being inquisitive is great, however, who are you? What things do you like? What are some of your pet peeves, What would you do on a free weekend? What do you want to do in the future? These are the essential elements to best answer this prompt. -Admissions Advice Online
OP Ro4 9 / 21  
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I tried to incorporate my likes into the essay. I hope its better now than before.
Hey Roomie,
I can't wait to meet you. You see, I love to meet new people. I like to experience the diversity; the different ways of thinking, expressions, sense of humor, preferences and character traits. I love it when I meet a person and the encounter affords me a totally different perspective on issues. I yearn to understand people and why they do what they do, probably explains my fascination with psychology. I believe in honesty. The truth is most at times unpleasant but I'll rather it be let out than kept hidden. Curiosity, they say killed the cat. Well thank God I'm not a cat because if I were I'd have died ages ago. When I see something new that interests me, I try to find out all I can about it. I hope you don't get irritated by the philosophical quotes sprinkled in my diction. My love for philosophy is only surpassed by my love for psychology. Forgive me when I come off as hyperactive, prudish, blunt or naïve, those are some of my flaws. Food, hmmm I can't wait to try out Chinese and Indian food. I hear it's very spicy. Not to mention magroni and cheese. It will be really cool if you like music so that we can listen to tracks together. I like all kinds of music, from classical to gospel to hip hop. The only kind of music I don't enjoy is reggae. Movies are my thing: comedy, action, sci-fi, romance, you name it. I particularly like "vampire diaries", I just can't get enough of it. My favorite authors are Lisa Jackson, Sydney Sheldon, and Mary Higgins Clarke. If you're not very talkative, no worries, I can carry on a conversation with little prompt. Always expect the unexpected from me, I never cease to surprise. I'm looking forward to our adventure at Stanford University.

Love,
Ro.

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford writing supplement ; letter to my roommate.