How Can I start the Opening essay about extracurricular activities?

faith91 1 / 1  
Hi everyone,
I have to write an essay about: Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer, 1000 character maximum).

Okay, I am going to write about my volunteering in tutoring Chem, Bio, & Math, at my community college.
I want to show that I want to help my community...ect.

HOW SHOULD I START MY ESSAY? what should be my first sentence?!!
Please give me ideas on what to write!

I appreciate your help!

Thank you,
ezziebestie 2 / 10  
Focus on one particular subject..maybe even an event that happened to you while you were tutoring in bio or whatever that lead up to a life changing moment or anything. State how you helping your community has effected you in someway and state why you started tutoring in the first place.
MaryTran93 3 / 2  
You can start your explanation with "One of my extracurricular activities that I favorite most is... " or you can just go right into explaining that extracurricular activity and how you benefit from it.
sabLeya 3 / 14  
you can also start like this " Last summer I spent volunteering in XXX as XXX( your volunteer designation), which gave me a truly remarkable sense of experience..."

hope this helps
itspattycakes29 1 / 3  
The way I would start off is with a story. Like one day in.... and explain, then you intertwine it together with your point.
This is such a valuable thread! I bet a lot of future visitors to this thread will benefit a lot from all of your ideas.

olunteering in tutoring Chem, Bio, & Math, at my community college.

So what is the meaning of this experience? The thing to do is find some great meaning in this. It means you are smart... it means you have a natural inclination toward teaching... or maybe it means you had opportunity to learn what you REALLY want to do. How can you show that this experience helped you know you should enter the field you plan to enter?

:-)
gabrielacb 5 / 17  
I'm still kind of confused on how should I write my extracurricular activity. One person on this thread said it should be as a story and the other said you should just be straightforward, so I'm a bit mixed up.

I wrote my activity in another thread. If someone could help me understand better, I'd be extremely thankful!
what should be my first sentence?!!

This might be part of the problem, or it might not be. It might indicate that you are having trouble getting your groove on. When you pick up the guitar, you need to be able to get into a rhythmic state of mind. You need an awesome state of mind. Then, it does not matter what you play.

As for whether it should be a story, I'll say this: use anecdotes, not claims. That is how to use the rule, "Show, don't tell." But... do not give any unnecessary details. I don't think it should be presented like a story... but it might have little anecdotes within it.

Most importantly, stick to your purpose. Show that those activities reflect the same seriousness and passion that make it essential that they let you into this progam.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / How Can I start the Opening essay about extracurricular activities?