Started off as an American, but ended as a British!

mdots 1 / 1  
Describe an experience of cultural difference, positive or negative, you have had or observed. What did you learn from it?

This is a really rough first draft, any comments would be great!

Going into my second grade year, I started off as an American, but by the end, became British. In the year 2002, my mother, brother and I moved to England for a year on behalf of the Fulbright Teaching Exchange Program. Even though I was young, my world was drastically flipped around. So many aspects of everyday life were changed, including food, clothing, weather, and the most significant - language. My new life in Doncaster, England couldn't have been more different than what I was used to in California.

Starting fresh at a British school, I, as a seven-year-old, had no idea what to expect. I was at first considered the new girl who talked strangely and spelled words differently. But as the days went by, I adjusted to the new environment and became more accustomed to British customs. I learned the norms of everyday life, such as calling French fries "chips", learning the rules of rugby, and seeing people drive on the left side of the road. By the end of the year, I was just like my English friends; I even had an accent to prove it.

While I lived in England I learned many things, but most of all, I learned how it is possible to adjust to a complete change in culture. It may seem simple. Given that we all speak the same language, England and America may seem not so diverse. In actuality, everything from the traditions, to the food, to the school curriculum is extremely disparate. Adjusting to such a difference is hard, but not impossible. With time, patience, and acceptance from others, adjusting to a new culture is probable.
alexhirsu 2 / 6 1  
It is an interesting idea, well-structured and coherent.
You show how easily you can adapt and what kind of person you have become.
Good luck!
hvnguyen1311 4 / 8  
A coherent essay which gives me an overview of your life as well as the way you encounter cultural barriers.
Moreover, you give me the obvious difference between 2 different cultures (British and America).
OP mdots 1 / 1  
Thank you for your feedback!

Home / Undergraduate / Started off as an American, but ended as a British!