Starting on GWU Essay - what most influenced you to apply

dennyssampler 3 / 8  
What most influenced you to apply to The George Washington University. If you are applying to an accelerated or special program, also explain why you are interested in this program at GW.

I'm applying to GWU's M.D./PhD accelerated program and I need help starting this essay. I applied to this school mainly because a representative from GWU came to my school and as I researched, I saw this medical program and I became interested and decided to apply.

But I want to make my essay interesting, and thus I ask this forum for help :(

Thanks in Advance,dennyssampler ( new to this forum :< )
Hi! It is good that you want to make it interesting. When I write, I stare at the screen and wait, sometimes for a long time, until a sentence comes from somewhere in the pit of my stomach -- and feels exactly right.

Now, this is the most important thing in your life right now. Maybe college is not THE most important thing, but when you sit down to write about why George Washington U. is the BEST choice for your future, in that moment it is the most important thing.

You can write this essay about what is more important to you than anything, and then CONNECT is to GWU. If you do that, it can't NOT be interesting.

Try to come up with a paragraph to start. I can't wait to see how it turns out...
OP dennyssampler 3 / 8  
As I signed my name under the list of every college that would be visiting Van Nuys High School, my attitude was to learn about every college and apply to every college so that I had many options to choose from in my path to college. The colleges included prestigious schools such as UC Berkeley, Stanford University, Pomona College, and Columbia. However, at that time when I had no knowledge of most universities except the ones my dads raved about such as Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, and Yale, I did not expect to be most influenced by the university that I had the least interest in. As I signed my name under the list of students who wished to attend the meeting with the representative from George Washington University, I jokingly told my friend, "Why don't we also sign up for the George W. Bush University?" Little did I know how drastically that 45 minute discussion about GWU would affect my college choices.

I initially did not care much for college. All I knew that, or incorrectly assumed, was that I should only aim for the Ivy Leagues. This mentality was brought from my father who truly believes that Ivy Leagues are the best colleges and obtaining a medical degree from one of the Ivy Leagues would mean guaranteed success in my future career. But in this meeting, I learned many things that proved me and my father's assumption false. The representative began to discuss about this college and how a college should fit like a glove. Correcting my false assumption, she mentioned how Harvard was not the best school for every individual. Then, she began to discuss the opportunities George Washington University would offer. The stellar internships, the unparalleled opportunities, and the large network one could make, I quickly became intrigued with this school. Although this was a school I had never heard of, each point the representative brought up sucked me in deeper and deeper into GWU. As the discussion ended, I could not believe how ignorant I was to the opportunities that GWU had. However the main reason I was drawn to GWU was the Seven-Year Integrated B.A./M.D. program.

The accelerated B.A/M.D. program at GWU I believe is one of the best medical programs in the nation. The internship opportunities in one of the most important cities in the world, the important people I could meet, and hopefully a lottery chance to treat the President if he was ill and needed a medical staff because the White House medical staff was somehow unable to help. Also, the convenient location of this university, next to the White House, will also help me blend my interest in politics, exemplified by my three year involvement in Junior Statesmen of America, and my career interest of becoming a physician.

I know that if I attended George Washington University, I could truly bring out my potential. With my strong academic background and interest in politics and medicine, I believe I can fully take advantage of the unique opportunities and program GWU has to offer. George Washington University is truly the perfect fit for my hand.

This is my essay. I need to cut to 500 words or fewer. Please rate and help me!!! Much props to whomever
As I signed my name under the list of every college that would be visiting Van Nuys High School, my attitude was to learn about every college and apply to every college so that I had many options from which to choose in my path to college. The colleges included prestigious schools such as UC Berkeley, Stanford University, Pomona College, and Columbia. However, at that time when I had no knowledge of most universities except the ones my dad raved about, such as Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, and Yale, I did not expect to be most influenced by the university in which that I had the least interest. As I signed my name under the list of students who wished to attend the meeting with the representative from George Washington University, I jokingly told my friend, "Why don't we also sign up for the George W. Bush University?" Little did I know how drastically that 45 minute discussion about GWU would affect my college choices.

...

Wow, great job! And I think you wrote this all in just a few hours... I think it will change if you look at it a few more times. You might want to take out the George Bush joke in case the reader is one of the 5 or 6 people left in the country who still approve of him.
gmailblows31 6 / 21  
Great essay. Impressed on how you got something after having nothing so quickly.

And to Kevin...nice quip...haha.

Home / Undergraduate / Starting on GWU Essay - what most influenced you to apply