"startled into thought" - Why Yale and Short Answers

adam2028 10 / 36  
What in particular about Yale influenced your decision to apply?I once heard Yale described a a place where a person can't help but be "startled into thought." That speaks to me, not just as a future student, but as a future educator. To live and learn in a place where my mind is always active allows me to make the most of my four years in college. I do not want my time in college to be idle. I want every day to be a chance to use the resources Yale offers to make a difference in the life of my future students by fostering understanding in and of myself.

What would you do with a free afternoon tomorrow?Tomorrow happens to be Christmas Eve, so I'll probably spend some time volunteering in a soup kitchen, help my mother prepare Christmas dinner for the two of us, and rest.

Recall a compliment...what was it and who said it? A friend and valedictorian of the class preceding mine once told me that I "lived my life like a character in a book."

If you could witness one moment in history, what would it be and why? Still composing a response.
What do you wish you were better at being/ doing? I wish I was better at living in the moment. Too often I get so entangled in my hopes and concerns about the future that I miss opportunities for happiness in the present.

If you were choosing a freshman class, what would you ask? Still composing a response.
adzs14 1 / 4  
I once heard Yale described a a place where a person can't help but be "startled into thought." i really liked this point it is very unique. However I think you need just one line expanding on this notion. HOW are you startled into thought at yale

That speaks to me, not just as a future student, but as a future educator. To live and learn in a place where my mind is always active allows me to make the most of my four years in college. I do not want my time in college to be idle. I want every day to be a chance to use the resources Yale offers to make a difference in the life of my future students by fostering understanding in and of myself.

These last two sentences seem very generic. I think you need to infuse something more personal to show you passion for learning at Yale.

These short responses seem fine. I liked the compiment one. What are your limits on these questions? If you have more words could you possibly, briefly state why you remembered that compliment, since it certainly isn't something most people would classify as a compliment. (although I think it definitely is)

Could you also please have a look at my essays. The deadline is up soon (as you probably know) and I'm not very confident with them.

Home / Undergraduate / "startled into thought" - Why Yale and Short Answers