Personal Statement for College about an educational dilemma that I have encountered

cprewitt13 2 / 1 1  
The teacher laughed and jeered as he went over each mistake I had made in the reading. Other kids snickered at simple words I had mispronounced or at those I had just skipped over. As my face reddened, I shrank back into my seat mortified. I remember silently scolding myself for being so stupid and sloppy while reading.

Growing up, I was not at the same reading, spelling, or math level as my peers. I remember during reading time in first grade I would just sit with a book that I was unable to decipher. I never received a good grade on spelling, even when I had studied the night before. The worst was always math. Numbers confused me, and I always mixed up their order or forgot number digits all altogether.

When I was seven, I would go home and read Bob Books out loud to my parents. Bob Books are a special program "created to facilitate that ah-ah moment when letters became words." I knew that letters made words, but reading "Cat sat on Matt" over again would not get me to read. My parents enrolled me into math and reading Kumon. I hated it because it made me doubt my abilities to succeed in a classroom like my classmates. At school, I would go to extra help once a week to work on spelling, reading, and phonics. I would ask my parents why I would have to go, and they would always say that they wanted me to be ahead of my class. Even though I never fully believed them, I never questioned their answer because I wished it was true.

My older sisters would make fun of me for my reading and math skills. I remember them telling me I was dyslexic. When I brought it up to my parents they vehemently denied it, telling me I was just learning at a different pace. I never believed them. They did not want me to feel discouraged nor confront the reality of my learning disability. I knew there was a reason why I when I read aloud I skipped over words or read some that were not even there. Or how numbers confused me and why my spelling was atrocious. I concluded I could not be simply dumb. I could understand the reading if I did it silently.

In high school, I convinced my parents to take me to the adolescent psychologist who had earlier diagnosed me with ADD. I questioned their claims that I learned differently. I wanted to know with certainty what was wrong so then I would be able to make the necessary changes in order for me to succeed. I went to the doctor's office for a several-hour test one Saturday afternoon. When we met again, she revealed that I was dyslexic. My parents asked a lot of questions, but to me, the news had come as a relief. Being diagnosed with dyslexia was an opportunity for me to make specific changes and goals that would allow me to reach my full academic potential. I realized that I would just have to spend more time on my studies than others and go in for help more often. I started to be tutored in math every week. At home I read out loud, teaching my self to slow down and looking at each individual word so that if I get called on in class, I would be prepared. When studying for tests, I have to rewrite my already hand-written notes, memorizing from the repetition.

I am now motivated more by the desire to achieve academic success rather than to avoid social ridicule. I am no longer embarrassed to ask for help, even for things that seem simple. I have learned that many people have dyslexia and are still able to be successful. Through this experience, I have learned that instead of avoiding tasks that are difficult, I should evaluate what I can do differentially in order to achieve a successful result. I have been forced to conscientiously think about my learning, which has made me a more curious and diligent student. After being belittled by peers and teachers, I have developed a degree of empathy and understanding and am always willing to help others who are struggling. Before I was diagnosed, I envied other students for their seemingly effortless success. However, through this experience, I have become a better student and leader and have gained invaluable skills that will help me achieve my educational and career goals.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

This is a great , well written, feel-good story. However, I am not sure that I see the educational dilemma...Where was the "fork in the road" along the journey and which choice did you make and why?. If your dilemma was to either accept your parent's claims that nothing was wrong with you or seek a professional diagnosis - you must clearly specify that this is the dilemma. Then you must weigh the pros and cons of each situation, closing with the choice you chose and why. Once you clarify this, this essay will be perfect. -AAO

Hope this helps
Th25cc 2 / 90 26  
Educational dilemma or not, you have written an essay that clearly communicates who you are and how you've developed over time. I like adaptable people who are able to do that. Often times essays about education involve issues over grading our advanced classes, but you showcased a true problem. You've talked about the whole experience and what you've done to make it better - that's great. Action is better than inaction.

Good luck with the application! If you are considered about the essay fitting the prompt, please post the prompt on this thread.

Home / Undergraduate / Personal Statement for College about an educational dilemma that I have encountered