Personal Statement for a Fashion Management (BA) course

fash_sim 1 / -  
I am applying for Bachelor courses in Fashion Mangement in the UK. I would be applying through UCAS. I would like to have few suggestions on how i can improve it and make it seem more interesting. And ofcourse pls do point out the grammatic mistakes. :)

Standing in the line behind an American woman at McDonald's. She's wearing those jeans, you know the ones with the patch on the back pocket that says 'GUESS'.

I'm thinking 250, may be 300 lbs....
Fashion, to me is a form of self-expression. The clothes you choose, the accessories you wear with it describes you as a person. It gives you an identity of your own. Fashion describes you as a person.

I've always been fascinated by clothes. I remember while I was a kid, I liked to mix and match Barbie's outfits, combining them with different shoes. At times I would make my own piece of clothing. I enjoy experimenting, with all kinds of clothes combining them with earrings, bracelets etc.

Fashion sort of runs in my family. My Grandmother used to hand sew blankets with motifs. Naturally, my aunt and my mom inherited this talent. My aunt is a tailor ever since I've known her. Whereas my mom keeps hand sewing as a hobby.

Being brought up in Bangladesh I'm more inclined towards the South Asian Fashion. The designer, whose work I like the most is Bibi Russell. Her designs includes natural fibres and vibrant colors.

Later on my family moved to Germany. While I was at my Realschule we had to do an internship besides our regular classes. And I decided to pursue it in a fabric store. The reason for my, this decision was that I wanted to learn the different types of fabrics, the difference between the fabrics of natural fibre and of man-made fibres, how the fabrics felt. And what's the best way to learn it than by working there! I have also worked with a tailor, where I've enhanced my stitching skills.

Alongside this I also discovered my interest within fashion retail through my part-time job at Primark GmbH. I got to polish my customer service and merchandising skills in that job. I thoroughly enjoyed working in sales, cashing up and visual merchandising.

I was so keen on learning more about fashion that after my Realschule, I joined a Fashion School for attaining my Fachhochschulreife. Throughout those 2yrs I've acquired various new skills. I've learned how garments are constructed and the pattern making of clothes. I've learned how to create designs in the computer with help of the program, Corel Draw. I also had a subject called Design Analysis, in which we had to interpret paintings, which was one of my favourite subjects. All in all I got to learn the technicalities of the fashion industry.

But what I loved learning the most was 'Betriebswirtschaft' (Company Organisation). That's when I realized that it's not the glitz and glamour rather the Business side that I'm intrigued by. I would love to learn the whole process of presenting the clothes making it appealing to the consumers. I aspire to be a Fashion Buyer. A Fashion Buyer requires to have an extensive fashion knowledge since he/she is the one responsible for choosing the clothes and accessories that project a store's desired image to consumers. Thus I'm applying for this course. Studying in the University will help me to gain the required knowledge in this sector and will help me to shape up my career.

Apart from being a complete shopaholic have knack for learning languages. I know how to speak in Bengali, Hindi, English, German and slightly Spanish. I also love dancing. I have participated in a few Indian cultural events in Frankfurt am Main. Being brought up in two completely different countries made me very adaptable and flexible. Till now I've only taken baby steps towards the fashion industry but joining the university will play a major role in my ambition of becoming a Fashion Buyer.
niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
Standing in the line behind an American woman at McDonald's.

This is a fragment. Make it a sentence ; there should be a subject and a verb.

She's wearing those jeans,you know the ones with the patch on the back pocket that says 'GUESS'.

... the accessories you wear with it describes you...

I enjoyed experimenting, with all kinds of clothes...

Fashion is a sort of runs in my family.

Her designs includes natural fibres and vibrant colors.

The reason for my, this decision was that I wanted...

2yrs --spelled out

the pattern - making of clothes

Home / Undergraduate / Personal Statement for a Fashion Management (BA) course