Statement of Purpose -- why KAIST? "to face AFTA 2015."

Ulaai 3 / 42 27  
Harsh comments are really, really appreciated. I also need to know whether this sounds too egoistical or not. Thank you for your time in reading my essay!

Why do you want to study at KAIST and what are your future plans (academics & career)

"What am I going to do after this?"

It is a question that always crosses my mind every once a while as I am spending my time as a 12th year high school student. The majorities of my friends are going to local universities in my country and have been planning strategies carefully hoping for chance to be in. At first, I was thinking about the same, too, but then I asked myself again, then what will set me apart from others? What will make me stand out and different?

There is this issue in my country that in my opinion should have been given more importance. In less than three years, namely in 2015, Indonesia will encounter ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) which will eliminate intraregional barriers and economic borders , make the ten countries of ASEAN eventually a big regional market. Everyone will be forced to be more competitive if they do not want to be driven out by excessive challenges they have to face when that time comes. Then, where will be I standing in four years from now, if I am just going to be no different than other university graduates?

It was the reason of why I decided to continue my education abroad. After researching numerous educational institutions from various countries, my choice finally fell for KAIST. KAIST has been known as a renowned institute in South Korea, and has excellent reputation among universities in the world in aspect of computer science. Another reason is because Korea is highly regarded in case of information and computer technology development and application to daily life. The tuition fees too are much cheaper compared to other countries, which is sort of relieving my family's financial burden. As a student who wants to major and advance in computer science, there is no doubt that KAIST will be the best one to go for me. It is not only offer me a remarkable experience that I will cherish throughout my life, but also quality education and countless opportunities.

In KAIST, I am planning to deepen my knowledge about web programming and artificial intelligence. I want to learn about web programming because I want to start my own company someday. And since I am a big fan of science fiction movies, I am really interested in knowing more about artificial intelligence. Of course, I also want to enhance my activities outside classes such as participating in competitions or joining clubs that are available at the university!

Upon my graduation, I would want to work in a startup or mobile phone manufacturer company overseas for several years. After get enough experience in this field of technology, I am going to pursue my master degree in Computer Engineering. Then, I would go back to my country and develop my own company, while trying to make contribution towards the country in aspect of technology development.
minty93 1 / 3  
KAIST has been known as a renowned institute in South Korea, and has an excellent reputation among universities in the world in aspects of computer science

There isanthis issue in my country that in my opinion should have been given more importance.

Then, I would go back to my country and develop my own company, while trying to make contributions towards the country in aspect of technology development.to the technological advancement of my country.
It is a question that always crosses my mind every once a whiletimeas I am spending my time asI sit with a 12th year high school student.

The majoritiesmajority of my friends aregoing towould want to attend local universities in my country and have been planning strategies carefully hoping for chance to be in.working seriously to secure their admission.

Home / Undergraduate / Statement of Purpose -- why KAIST? "to face AFTA 2015."