Statement of purpose for PhD Philosophy

tubi34 1 / 1  
Hi this is my first! I am preparing for appealing to PhD. Please can you check it?

I chose philosophy when I started to understood me. I realized that something is deficient in my life after graduating my first university which Department of Textile, Uludağ University. I started to business life but this deficiency did not complete whit that. So I took a risk and gave up everything. I turned back to school and started to Department of Philosophy, Istanbul University. I thought of philosophy will make up the deficiency in my life. I was right.

Philosophy means that it is always learning something for me and I always feel pleasure from this learning circumstance. Philosophy is a big field which never completed. People never say I learned that's why I decided to resume study for the duration of my life.

I learned basic information about philosophy in Department of Philosophy, Istanbul University. Firstly, we started with Philosophers of Ancient Greece then carry on with philosophy in the middle ages and finally we learned Philosophy of between 17-18th century. I learned basic contents in there. I learned that all fields of people's life which history, mythology, art, sociology, politics etc. are related to philosophy and each other. After that I think everything in respect of this idea.

I started to masters study Department of Philosophy, Akdeniz University after graduating from Istanbul University. I specialized in philosophy in that place. Especially I learned philosophy of 21th century that new ideas about new area. I realized that differences between continental philosophy and analytical philosophy. I chose Heidegger's philosophy for my thesis subject because I was impressed by his ideas about being, subject and technology. I researched his special content Dasein, his point of view about modern subject, technology and art in my thesis "Heidegger and Modern Time, Transformation of Subject". I started with history of subject in philosophy of history then I tried to explain subject in Descartes and Kant's Philosophy. Finally I explained in details of Heidegger's Philosophy which subject, technology and art.

Now, I am thinking of researching Derrida's Philosophy in PhD and the best university for this is Bosphorus University in Turkey. Because Derrida's Philosophy is in the Analytical Philosophy Movement and The Bosphorus University is specialist about this movement. I can reach a lot of resources about this subject and take opportunities here.

I believe that I have the qualities to be a good thinker, researcher and teacher. I am a creative person and often think in a contemplative way about various issues of philosophy and I like it. Also I am a theater player and write short story and drama for support my philosophy carrier and thinking world. What is more I earn my living from copywriter. All of those are related to think and creativeness and I believe that a philosopher must be thinker and creative. My communication skills are good and I like expressing ideas and concepts both in oral and written form - an ideal platform for the dissemination of knowledge in my chosen field of specialization.

The Bosphorus University is one of the best schools of management in the Turkey with a strong orientation towards research. The diversity of research interests in the philosophy is of particular interest to me. The eminent faculty and the individualized nature of the doctoral program will definitely bring out the best in me. I would like to reiterate that I possess the background, the ability and the motivation to make a significant contribution to Philosophy. I hope you will take a favorable decision regarding my admission to the Ph.D. program and I look forward to joining the Department of Philosophy, Bosphorus University.
I chose philosophy when I started to understood me understand myself. I realized that something was deficient in my life after graduating my first university -- Department of Textile, Uludağ University. I started business life, but this sense of deficiency did not stop bothering me . complete whit that. So I took a risk and gave up everything. I turned back to school and started to Department of Philosophy, Istanbul University. I thought of philosophy will would make up for the deficienc y in my life. I was right.

I think you should take this material and make it part of the paragraph that comes after it:
Philosophy always involves learning something new, and I always feel pleasure from this learning circumstance. Philosophy is a big field, and it is never complete.

This does not make sense: People never say I learned that's why I decided to resume study for the duration of my life.

I believe that I have the qualities to be a good thinker, researcher and teacher. ----- excellent sentence!!

I am a creative person, and I often think in a contemplative way about various issues of philosophy and I like it . After this sentence, you should tell what kinds of philosophy you are interested in --- ethical philosophy? epistemology? political philosophy? western? eastern?

I am jealous! I think you will enjoy your philosophy major.

:-)
OP tubi34 1 / 1  
Thank you so much Kevin! I hope that I will be elected for PhD then I will enjoy :)

Home / Undergraduate / Statement of purpose for PhD Philosophy