UC Personal Statement: Single Mother

ShalaneG 1 / -  
I am in the brainstorming phase of writing my personal statement and need advice on how to structure my essay. Here are some bullet points on what I would like to talk about and share.

1. Being a single-mother to a 18-month old boy
2. Being a recovering alcoholic and addict at age 25 (28 now)
3. Traveling for 10 years after high school and just starting school now (I have issues/insecurities talking about this because it wasn't like I was traveling/having a blast the whole time-- my addictions were worsening everyday)

Would that be an overshare? Thanks in advance for your comments
Well... SOP is the one that introduces you to the admission committee. So it is going to make the first impression about you to them and therefore you need to be a little careful. Whatever you mention there must convince him that you have the committment, passion and talent to pursue you studies as well as you are a candidate who can bring something meaningful to their community. This does not mean you can talk only about your positives, of course you can talk about the negatives too... However, these negatives should be tackled in a way that you have learned very valuable lessons through them and they have influenced you to change your personality in a meaningful way.

So, I guess you better not talk about the second and third (I dont get it clearly)

Home / Undergraduate / UC Personal Statement: Single Mother