Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Staying up late to finish projects' - NORTHEASTERN ARTIST STATEMENT

LisaVuong 1 / -  
PROMPT: The department is looking for applicants who will shape the character and vision of the department. We are
looking for visually creative people who are unique, passionate, and talented. In your statement, please describe
what qualities you feel you will bring to the department and your college-level educational experience and why.
The maximum length for the statement is 500 words.

NOTES: Through the CommonApp, I submitted a more art based personal statement, so I went a bit more general with this one. Do you think that is a good idea or should I write another artsy essay for this as well? Also, I only mentioned two main traits in my essay, do you think I should add more? Do you think I went too off-topic? Thank you so much in advance!

ESSAY:
Using a sharp blade, I carefully sliced off an arm above the elbow, and a leg below the knee. The lack of steadiness resulted in bloody hands. I then proceeded to slowly pull the trigger of the gun, trying my best not to miss. Each time I fired, I felt the warmth of the gun increase. The final step was the tedious task of wrapping ropes, often causing my hands to burn. And after many paper cuts, and glue gun burns, the first half of the scrapbook for my mom is completed. Only another half to go.

Staying up late to finish projects is typical for me. This is not a result of procrastination, rather the traits that have been embedded in me from a young age. The strength to push through the paper cuts, and the fatigue, as well as ability to avoid the temptation of the television, and the calling of my friends is a direct result of my parents. They are the epitome of hard work. Both of my parents lived through the Vietnam War, and gave up everything to start a new life in America because they wanted a better life for their children. Through their hard work, demonstrated by working 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, as well as working through some holidays. However, in doing so, my brother and I are provided with the same opportunities as everyone else. My fingers sting, and my eyes are heavy, but I am able to continue because I know my parents have been through so much worse.

I particularly love my childhood pictures, as I look like the happiest girl in the world playing in my plethora of toys. Yet, I am unable to find pictures of my parents doing the same activity. The Vietnam War took more then their country away from my parents; it'd refused them of a proper education, rejected them a secure home, and most importantly, robbed them of their childhood I knew. Therefore, they have always encouraged me live mine to the fullest by pursuing many interests, exploring the world around me, and feeding my curiosity. In doing so, I have discovered beauty in things deemed ugly, a different side when I originally thought there was not one, and complex layers to simplicity. My thirst for knowledge provided me with potential, while their encouragement caused me to thrive. Although their childhood could never be restored, this scrapbook is a small way of thanking them for providing me with mine. I

I myself will be taking a different scrapbook to college to remind me of the people who have taught me the necessary traits to be successful. Although I am new to the art world, my motivation and work ethic will help me push through the hardships and make up for lost time, while my curiosity and passion for learning will continuously motivate me to create.

(It is 485/500 words)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Staying up late to finish projects' - NORTHEASTERN ARTIST STATEMENT