the steel blade reflects - MIT "something you do for the pleasure of it"

JF123 1 / 1  
The Prompt
We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it. (*)(100 words or fewer)

Sparks leap from my fingertips as I delicately guide the knife back and forth across the sandpaper. I can barely contain my excitement as my artistic vision slowly comes to life in the knife resting beneath my fingers. For me building knives is a way combining form and function in a creative and hands on manner. By means of some basic tools I combine fine steel, exotic woods, and rough stone together to create something completely unique too me. Creating a knife using my own two hands is an irreplaceable thrill that I find unable to resist.

Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (*) (100 words or fewer)

From the moment I first peered through my dad's old microscope at a sample of pond water I was hooked on biology. Since that initial exposure I have dissected sharks, experimented with genetic mutations in weeds, and even witnessed micro-surgery being performed on mice. Every detail of biology fascinates me immensely. Biological Engineering would allow me to combine my passion for biology with engineering to solve the problems of society; that is why I feel MIT's Department of Biological Engineering would be a good fit for me.

Any suggestions/comments you have would be much appreciated,
katmandu0071 6 / 15  
Just to be clear, what are you doing in this piece? (Sharpening a knife is my best guess, but you might want to express that a little more clear)
Dii 6 / 24  
You do not clearly define the activity. Are sharpening a knife or putting the finishing touches of one you made yourself?
sarahadams 11 / 22  
the first paragraph is great

Biological Engineering would be a good fit for me- would be the perfect fit for me

amazing i hope you get in

Home / Undergraduate / the steel blade reflects - MIT "something you do for the pleasure of it"