"Step Up 3D" / "Human Behavior" / "Harry Potter" - NYU Supplements

holashelly 1 / 12  
Tell us why you have chosen the above campus (700 characters)

Watching "Step Up 3D" for the first time the movie did not interest me as much as the violet flags waving in the wind majestically in the background and the busy whizz of cars travelling around the urban streets. I remember watching wondrously three years ago and thinking, "That is my dream school." After doing more research afterwards I have discovered that NYU New York is even more amazing than the movie showed. The heart of New York is a magical city for the inspired and a place where dreamers can go to pursue their passions. If I were to attend NYU I would find inspiration everywhere, from exploring the busy nightlife in Times Square to studying at the indie coffee shops in Queens. As an artist I aspire to inspire as well as to learn. As a person from suburban [city name] with a heart for adventure I desire to continue my studies in the City that Never Sleeps.
ethannov 2 / 12 3  
I think it sounds pretty good. The only thing you have to realize is that NYU is not the only college in New York City. They ask why that campus. Maybe you could add something a little bit more specific about NYU campus instead of just the city?
shreebaby 3 / 4 1  
Right now it sounds like you're talking more about the city that the school. Try adding a few specifics about NYU, like about the campus, special programs it has to offer, or what makes it different that other schools.
sjmzzz95 7 / 13 3  
i agree with the above posts^^ it's still good that you talk about NYC because it introduces the opportunities that you look forward to, but why NYU?
OP holashelly 1 / 12  
Alright, thank you! I will try to improve it.
OP holashelly 1 / 12  
NYU Supplement Revise Please URGENT HELP PLEASE 2 HOURS LEFT LOL

The plot of the movie "Step Up 3D" did not interest me as the setting with the violet flags waving majestically in the wind and the busy cars whizzing past in the background of the New York streets. I remember thinking, "This is my dream school." After doing more research I have discovered that NYU is even more breathtaking than in the movie. It is special to me because it also offers unique culturally-oriented study abroad programs that I am interested in exploring. New York is a magical city fit for visionaries to pursue their dreams that were once thought impossible. At NYU I would find inspiration from exploring the busy nightlife in Times Square to studying at the indie coffee shops in Queens. As a person with a heart for adventure from a suburban city I desire to pursue my education in the City that Never Sleeps.

A. NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

As a person who loves the social sciences and the arts, the Gallatin School of Individualized Study is a perfect fit for my many interests. I am interested in human behavior and would like to devote my studies into solving issues involving the contemporary societal issues relevant to our world. NYU's excellent cross-disciplinary programs in the social sciences strike my interest, because since I have many interests, I would like to find a plan of study unique to my own interests. In a big city such as New York, Gallatin provides a "small college" feel, while being situated in one of the largest private universities in the world. Gallatin provides close student-professor relationships as well as opportunities to conduct independent studies that interest me with an adviser I respect.

I also plan on participating in the Speaking Freely program, because I am interested in studying other cultures on an extracurricular level, without the pressure grades.

NYU is known for its excellent study abroad programs, and I would like to take advantage of these resources to learn more.

B. What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

Every day after coming home from a rough day at school I would kick off my shoes, run upstairs into my room, and curl up in bed to read a chapter of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the last installment of the Harry Potter series. Being the new student freshman year was tough-but along with the experience comes personal growth and a newfound sense of identity. Instead of being stagnant and refusing to learn from my experiences, I shared my journey in high school with my friend Harry Potter. Since I picked up my first copy of the book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, from my school's library in fifth grade I have not been able to put it down. As an avid Harry Potter fan I have grown up with Harry and his friends, going on adventures and explorations in the wizarding world and also defeating the menacing powers of evil. Harry Potter has shown me the cold realities of life-death and betrayal, but it has also shown me the beauty of it-love and peace, which triumphs over all.

As a shy child I had trouble making friends. Although I was quiet and shy, I never felt lonely because I could relate my experiences growing up to the Harry Potter books. I had an unbridled ambition to make my parents proud and also to succeed. I was once afraid to take risks that would in turn help me grow, but reading the Harry Potter books inspires me to challenge myself and also to be a better person. Rather than identify with the protagonist Harry, I consider myself to be similar to his foil-Draco Malfoy, the snarky and hateful antagonist who is also misunderstood and a dynamic character. Like Draco, I identify myself as a Slytherin because although I am quiet, I am also fiercely determined to succeed and willing to protect those I love.
bigchau 5 / 16 1  
two hours to go and you post this? gg

last sentence redundant and generic, nyu doesn't need more asskissing than it has gotten. Besides that, I dont see many problems, but please spell check your sht.

For some reason im not convinced that you know much about the gallatin school. feels like you're just naming them for the heck of it.

good luck
OP holashelly 1 / 12  
Ouch. That hurt. But true; trying to get this thing done, but also trying to do well. Going back to rewrite...
Kitsumi 4 / 97 16  
This sentence repeated "interest" too many times, so I tried to re-word it.
I'm attracted to NYU's excellent cross-disciplinary programs in the social sciences, because I can find a study plan unique to me, for my numerous interests.

I don't think you need the "being", just put "while situated".

"pressure of grades".

I think you need a conclusion.
chewbacca 1 / 2  
It's really good overall, but this sentence

"The plot of the movie "Step Up 3D" did not interest me as the setting with the violet flags waving majestically in the wind and the busy cars whizzing past in the background of the New York streets."

is a bit confusing and the wording is awkward... are you trying to say that the setting of the movie interested you more than the plot?
OP holashelly 1 / 12  
Yes, that is what I am trying to say. I have problems with word choice.
abulkhair37 8 / 22  
I think in your why NYC campus you are talking too much about the city. I mean why can't explore the nightlife of Abu Dhabi, or study in indie coffee shops in Shanghai?
Kitsumi 4 / 97 16  
Yay Harry Potter!! <3

You shared your experiences with your friend Harry, but you identified more with Draco? Fanon aside, Draco and Harry really did not get along until the last book.

This sentence needs to be revised.
Rather than identify with the protagonist Harry
"Rather than identifying with..." or something similar?

I love your last sentence. Although I think the dashes should surround -death and betrayal-, and -love and peace-.
CTHIMENYOR 1 / 13  
Overall there wern't many grammar problems, but you should probably add more at the end.
Good luck
OP holashelly 1 / 12  
Help on editing grammar/word choice please. I want my responses to flow nicely and be readable, haha.
OP holashelly 1 / 12  
That is true, but I'm saying I identify with Draco as we are both Slytherins. We're not alike personality-wise. Thank you!

Home / Undergraduate / "Step Up 3D" / "Human Behavior" / "Harry Potter" - NYU Supplements