Stevens or NJIT - which college to choose?

jen2 1 / 2  
Hello,

Can you guys help me with choosing my college? i am little confuse in it. I want to do computer engineering. But i dont know which college is good for it i mean which one is more valuable in market? I dont have any problem with my GPA or rank or SAT scores. I already applied in stevens and NJIT but i dont know which one is best. so if u guys can suggest me in it i really appreciate it.

Thank You

Stevens Institute of Technology or NJIT: New Jersey's Science & Technology University
I don't know which one is "better," or even if there is enough difference between the two to merit such a distinction. Perhaps you could search Google for information on the two?
Sounds like an interview question to ask a manager at a place you would like to work. In fact, I challenge you to visit 3 places you would like to work... and ask a real manager.

Have you looked into the rankings?

If you do this exercise, you will be able to write a brilliant admissions essay about it.

Really, it could be accomplished over the phone. No excuse not to do it! :) I admire your thoughtfulness about this iportant decision.
OP jen2 1 / 2  
Thank you guys for replying,
and kevin liked your brilliant idea to go and visit those places and then take a decision about it .and i'll do that soon.

Thank you once again.
flight23 4 / 31  
Although I am not one for wholly investing my decisions based on college rankings, they should be of SOME weight when weighing colleges. According to U.S. News, Stevens is ranked 80th in Graduate (I couldn't find undergrad rankings) schools, while NJIT didn't place at all. Of course, NJIT might have better computer engineering program than Stevens. So here's what I recommend you do BEFORE you visit it.

1. Look over faculty
Most important factor in learning should be the people who are teaching you! A seemingly obvious, yet often overlooked factor. Most colleges include a list of profs. and their achievements.

2. Compare # of Students
If the program has a bunch of students in the program then it's a safe bet that the college has invested more money in it.

3. Contact Alumni
Most knowledgeable people about the job market since they've experienced it!
OP jen2 1 / 2  
Thanks for your reply flight23
yeah where i am confuse is Steavens is more famous than NJIT but NJIT has more computer engineering program than stevens.so i dont know which one will be better to study.
flight23 4 / 31  
I don't exactly get what you mean by "more computer engineering program." Does that mean that their program is larger? Even if there's more students in it, it isn't guaranteed to have more funding from the school. It might even mean the opposite: with more students less money can be spent on each student so the quality of the program suffers.
Hmmm... this is the sort of thing that has to be decided from the heart. Can you visit the place? There is something excellent about trusting your intuition. When a decision is very important, it is good to be methodical, but not so methodical that you lose what is natural. Talk to some students and faculty members. Guess! In the 60s a famous concept was introduced by someone whose name I can't remember, but he said, "Follow your bliss."
You might be better off looking to see if there is any reason not to attend either of your two choices. There really isn't that much difference between most universities -- in the end a degree is a degree. Where you got it might make a bit of difference in how easily you can find a job when you are first starting out, but after that, no one much cares. In terms of how much you actually learn, the university experience will generally be as rewarding as you make it. Some universities, though, are just not very good, or have certain programs that are particularly poorly designed. So, if you do some background research, you should be able to find out if either university has a bad reputation when it comes to computer engineering. If not, you can probably go to whichever one appeals to more without worrying.

Home / Undergraduate / Stevens or NJIT - which college to choose?