It's Not All About the Sticks - extracurricular essay

Beast53 5 / 6  
Choose one extracurricular activity, work experience, or community service project from the list you provided on the application.

It's Not All About the Sticks

I didn't change much, but here's the first revision. thanks in advance!

When I walked into band class during the first day of middle school, I didn't know what to expect. I signed up for band in fourth grade because I thought learning an instrument would be fun. Going into my third year, my new director introduced us to marching band. At first, I was a little skeptical due to the physical demand, but my interest started to grow after each note we played. It's something about seeing twenty drummers playing and moving in sync; it just sounded and looked so enticing. Just thinking about it made me want to do it forever.

The first day of high school band felt like the first day of kindergarten. I didn't know anybody at all; everyone was a stranger to me. I didn't care, however. All that mattered to me was having a solid audition and making a spot on the drumline. I worked all summer preparing for this day. There was no way I was going to blow this audition.

Now as a senior in high school and going into my ninth year in band, I look back and realize that band isn't all about the music, or the marching; but also about the relationships you build. While we all shared the passion for music, we each had our differences. Eventually, we were able to brush off the diversity and the thirty seniors in band grew to become my second family. For the past four years, we have endured through the rigors of band camp together, even the twenty four hour bus ride to Disney World. We were all educated by the same director, and we all essentially grew up in high school together. And in one week, we will all march off of the football field together in our last football game. Word Count: 300
OP Beast53 5 / 6  
Good point, I definitely should answer my own title. Thanks for input!

anymore input from anybody else would be awesome!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Much better; you tie up the title to your content making the whole piece fluid. Nice work.

Home / Undergraduate / It's Not All About the Sticks - extracurricular essay