I am still experience failures and I am happy with that.

MANMAI98 1 / 1  
PROMPT: THE LESSONS WE TAKE FROM OBSTACLES WE ENCOUNTER CAN BE FUNDAMENTAL TO LATER SUCCESS. RECOUNT A TIME WHEN YOU FACED A CHALLENGE, SETBACK, OR FAILURE. HOW DID IT AFFECT YOU, AND WHAT DID YOU LEARN FROM THE EXPERIENCE?

Common App Essay about Failure

Luckily, I've always been a loser since I was a child. Until now, I am still experience failures and I am happy with that.

When I was in my primary school, I was a low-average student in my class and during 5 years at the school, the title "average student" stuck me in 4 years except year 1. My grandma usually said that "Growing up, you will herd cows", many years ago in Vietnam, poor ones watched on fields. As a child, I was really scared because of a crazy buffalo herd in my neighbor. But her threat seemed not work to me. One morning, a day when parents gather in their student class to receive the results of them, I stood outside the class, knowing that I was the average student, and cried so much, tears of disappointment and regrets. I usually told my dad to buy me my wished toys although he is poor. He said that: "If you promise to learn harder, I'll buy you the toy", all I did was to agree with him, but I didn't keep my promise to him. I told myself: "I have to be a good student in secondary school"

Before beginning the main class at school, I attended a math extra class and my passion with mathematics started from there. The math teacher inspired me with his interesting, attractive lessons from set of natural numbers to Venn diagram, prime numbers and definition of point, line. Thanks to my teacher, a great father in many student generations hearts, I had made rapidly progress. As a magic, an idiot couldn't compare to positive integers in primary school quickly became a good student in math and science subjects. My math grades were continuously on top of my class. In 8th grade year, I was chosen for the mathematics team of my school and I achieved third prize at district-level excellence student competition. One year later, I acquired first prized in mathematics competition for excellence student in Danang city. With the accomplishments, I began dreaming about higher challenge, International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO). One of the most solid base that made me believe I can achieve the prize was my relative, he won medal prize in IMO 2010.

I passed a math honor class at a gifted high school in my city, the school my nephew used to study and many other students acquired international prize studied here. It was a favorable step on the way to achieve my dream. I rushed into study by trying to complete all the tasks in class, usually stayed up late until 4 am although I had to wake up at 5 am to go to school, but my efforts were only rewarded with fatigue and stress. I soon realized that specialized math curriculum was beyond my capacity, but this only prompted me to try harder. I even spent my whole time for studying math at home. However, my level didn't improve as much as I wished and I wasn't chosen for the math team of school. After the first year at high school, I planned to join the team at 11th grade, most of my time was to self-study math and solve problems on specialized math books but I recognize that I advanced very slowly. As a result, I failed to be selected for math team again. I was extremely discouraged and exhausted. Nevertheless, I still hoped for the last chance, students can attend the team until 12th grade. I tried as hard as possible till 4 months before the test for selecting team in November; Although I am a daydreamer, I must face the truth that time was not enough for me to make a difference due to my poor enhancement. I decided to stop pursuing the dream. Even I won second prize at city-level math competition at 12th grade later, sometime I felt so down.

Several months later, I thought about the reasons why I failed despite the efforts. I didn't take a break during study. Apparently, I was always tired, depressed and unconscious to alter the method to approach the problems effectively.Moreover. I had the habit of rushing into work first without thinking about the way to get it done initially. Sometimes this mindset worked properly but with subjects demanding deep logical thinking such as specialized math, this approach no longer functioned. However, the experience I have now can help me overcome similar challenges in the future. The failure taught me one thing: "When I try to overcome my limits, high probability I will fail and deep sadness I will undergo but I will also learn a great value lesson. Additional, sooner or later ineffectual manner will be replaced; failure will remind me to do it." But more than that, with something extremely hard, over my ability, I need to be very careful, very vigorous and very conscious to make the exceedingly small rate I succeed come true.

Although I once failed, felt so sad due to high hope, but if I could do it again, I would still dreamed of IMO.
Ann Ngo 3 / 5 1  
Hi MANMAI,
Although I can find many mistakes related to grammar ( tense, sentence problems, obscure sentences,..),I still love your writing as I think these are thoughts from your heart. I can feel your effort and I can understand how competitive the environment in the schools for the gifted are, for I was also a student at Math specialized class too.

Because this is a long article, so make sure you have to check it some times before posting to avoid some silly mistakes. You should arrange your ideas so that your article can be more logic. I think that you shouldn't use present perfect tense too much when talking about "loser" ( in the opening) or failure, for it makes the reader have a negative feeling about your improvement. And you shouldn't regard yourself as a"loser" just by judgments of others.

I believe that with your intelligence, diligence, and intense effort, you will be successful.
Many thanks.
OP MANMAI98 1 / 1  
Hello Ann Ngo, thank you for your comment. I checked grammar errors through paper rat but it didn't recognise mistakes.
Man, this essay doesn't portray a single obstacle, setback, or failure in your life. Rather these are a series of events that, in your mind, constitute some sort of personal growth and understanding. Therefore, you should not use the current prompt for this essay. You can use one of the two essays below for this essay:

Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
or
Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.

Personally, I think that this essay showcases the period of personal growth based on your failures, which makes it the better prompt for this essay. If you notice, you are speaking of various points in your educational life where you came to understand more about yourself and how you succeed and fail. This indicates a period of personal growth and understanding of yourself. If you don't feel comfortable with that prompt, then you should use the open prompt essay by creating your own prompt to suit the essay that you wrote.

Home / Undergraduate / I am still experience failures and I am happy with that.