UW short essay ("stop eating pork in front of us")

Baiwanyu 5 / 12  
1.Describe an experience of cultural difference or insensitivity you have had or observed. What did you learn from it?
Please help me to check grammar mistakes and tenses, I am worried about these. Please also give me your opinions on my content. Thank you very much.

" Could you please stop eating pork in front of us?"
We, a group of Chinese students, were sitting in hostel's canteen eating a pork dish when a group of Malay students stood up and spoke to us.

Their words shocked us; we saw it as rude and irrational and started to argue with them. The querrel continued until a mentor came and explained to us that the Malay students were Muslims, and that eating or seeing pork was forbidden in their faith. It seemed bizarre to us, as we had no understanding of Islam. But once I had heard the history behind it, that pigs were considered dirty in both character and appearance, I began to understand and respect their commitment to their faith. We apologised to them and the quarrel actually led to a lasting friendship between our two groups.

From this experience, I learnt that ignorance of others' traditions and beliefs may cause misunderstandings and even conflicts between some races. I started to explore more about other cultures and joined Malay and Indian Societys in our school. I realised that people from other nations were not alien, but friendly as well. They were willing to accept our apologies and made friends with us. I started to watch my behavior and words in front of other races. I found that after all, maintaining racial harmony in a multicultural society was not difficult as long as we hold mutual respect towards each other. Finally, I learnt to appreciate our cultural differences; they make this world more diverse and colourful.
lildevil_ 1 / 9  
um, I am not very sure about this...
1. in the 3rd paragraph, "querrel" should be "quarrel", but I think my English teacher said its better to use "argument" in formal writing.

2. my english teacher again - it's informal to use "but" in the beginning of a sentence, maybe u should use "however" instead.

3. this sentence sounds weird- "I realised that people from other nations were not alien, but friendly as well"

hope this helps :P

Home / Undergraduate / UW short essay ("stop eating pork in front of us")