'never stopping and never having to settle' - What attracts me to Umich

Strappingyl 3 / 8  
My response (375 words):

I plan to transfer to the University of Michigan's College of Literature, Science and the Arts to finish my Associate in Science and Arts Degree in mathematics, following my Bachelor of Science Degree. The College of LSA would allow me to begin research very quickly upon admission because of its core focus towards it. In this environment of intellectuals I would thrive, having so many tools at my disposal that the possibilities seem endless.

Eventually I want to begin teaching first and second level college coursework, tempering and perfecting a technique that will help others learn and help me to prepare for my graduate studies, research and higher tier teaching. In order to achieve this I would begin taking pedagogical courses soon after receiving my ASA to get a head start on a teaching degree.

I see the end of my college career as a research professor of mathematics and probably computer science, maybe even heading a department. There's nothing more thrilling to me than the thought of contributing to the scientific community through research and teaching. I've been told I am a great tutor when explaining math and I hope to carry this to the highest level possible so that I can help others reach the same level.

The University of Michigan is perfect for my means of achieving these goals with its research facilities and Applied & Interdisciplinary Mathematics program within the Rackham Graduate School. I'm not sure what my partner discipline would be for research, but I would definitely have it figured out by the time I am ready to apply at Rackham.

During all of this I want to weave myself into Michigan's academia, being a part of it as it will me. This would happen in the form of work-study, volunteering in the mathematics department, creating relationships and participating in anything that will help me better myself, the scientific community and the university.

What attracts me most to the University of Michigan is the world of possibilities that will open up to me. I feel being part of Michigan means never stopping and never having to settle. The feeling I get when I think of all of this is overwhelming, and I look toward my future at Michigan with exhilaration.

Thank you!

dp
amatsui19 2 / 10  
"I see the end of my college career as a research professor of mathematics and probably computer science, maybe even heading a department."

Don't put probably or maybe . Instead, try to sound more firm on your stance.

"I'm not sure what my partner discipline would be for research, but I would definitely have it figured out by the time I am ready to apply at Rackham."

This claim isn't really convincing. After "but"... try to write something else like how you plan on figuring on what to research.

Besides that, it's a well written essay. Good job! Judging by this essay, you seem to have a clear plan after you get into their university and the admission office will like that.
madilla 2 / 12  
This is well written ... I think you should kinda focus more on what the school offers .. and as amatsu 19 said, don't say maybe or I think, you want to

be different then all the others that are writing the same thing.

Good luck :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'never stopping and never having to settle' - What attracts me to Umich