A story about how my international student title shapes me. "Thing unnoticed" UWM

xujunjiejack 4 / 7  
I want more advice on my content than the grammar one. I'm looking to getting your reply. Thank you.

1. Consider something in your life you think goes unnoticed and write about why it's important to you.

When you achieve your dreams, it's not so much what you get, as who you have become in achieving them.
------Henry David Thoreau
It's a story that can be easily unnoticed. It's a story about how a boy tries to enter a big world and pursue an independent life. It's a story about how my "international student" title leads my transition to the mature.

Not until the second of semester of my first year in senior high school, which is always regarded late to an international student, did I decide to study abroad in my undergraduate. What causes my sudden decision is hard to tell. Maybe the typical trait of teenager ignited my desire to challenge, maybe my global vision gained from my activities, especially from my Model UN experience, drived me to explore the world; maybe I just wanted to resist a so-called Chinese students' destiny that only the scores can decide him; maybe my father's story about how he worked hard to enter a great university in Shanghai from the rural place inspired me, or my decision is the result of the combination of all these factors.

But what I'm sure is that decision commenced a new stage in my growth, in which no one except me, can stop and even confine my future. For the first time, I was willing to get extra courses to improve my English and sacrifice my leisure time to memorize a huge number of new words. On weekdays, it seemed that I was always fighting against the nature. At school, because I needed to deal with school courses, and took care of a law club, only after my assignment, I could usually squeezed about one hour to prepare for my TOEFL and SAT test. Sometimes it was exhausted, but no pain, no gains. I have chosen my own road thus, needing to commit the responsibility.

In fact, the one-year preparation also shows me another aspect of independence. Independence doesn't mean facing all kinds of troubles alone, but finding a way to handle them. There are always some troubles and burdens that are beyond my capacity, so help from others is vital. For instance, without my friend's encouragement and understanding, much of sorrow, and my uncertainty would keep me from moving towards; without my beloved family's support, I will fight vulnerably like a soldier without armor. During this one year, my attitude to my family has been changed silently. I no longer obey my parents' words blindly, which however, helps me realize my parents' deep love and support better.

Now this story comes to an end. However, silently, this decision has led me into a more independent life. I know I have become a helmsman, controlling how the ship voyages in the sea of life.
zadocky 1 / 2  
i think you did less of how this is important to you. How does this make you who you are today?

Home / Undergraduate / A story about how my international student title shapes me. "Thing unnoticed" UWM