The Story of Janay - i need help continuing this essay:-(

janaylloyd09 4 / 9  
Essay Topic: Describe an obstacle or bump in the road in you academic or personal life and how it has influenced who you are?

The Story of Janay

There comes a point in a child's life where one must break away from the tight grips of their parents. They must choose to live by what has been instilled in them, or simply deny these morals completely. This by far is one of the most challenging parts of a child's life and what seems to be the highlight of mine.

Growing up, every action was guided and determined by my parents. My ability to think and decide on my own grew to be very dependent. Being the only daughter of a pastor, I've always stood out among my peers like a swore thumb. So as far as I can remember, I have never been a "normal teenager." Religion is very important in my household and immediately following is education. Stripped of the chance to develop my social life; my life, decisions, and my future had already been determined for me based on my religious inheritance.

As a teenager, I decided that I would take control of my person. I started to view life in my own eyes. I had developed a social life beyond my parent's control. Finally, I was able to make my own decisions; many of which went against my religious beliefs. Many people will say this was a state of rebellion, but this was the point in my life where I found Janay.
BrokeAggie /  
Elaborate on what you did to define yourself.
There comes a point in a child's life where he or she must break away from the tight grips of their parents.

Stripped of the chance to develop my social life, I realized that my life, decisions, and my future had already been determined for me based on my religious inheritance.

Ah, great! I like it. You need one more sentence at the end, something very meaningful.
OP janaylloyd09 4 / 9  
Thanks for your suggestions and I was considering going into details on what i did to define myself but i thought that would be a little too personal...though, i maybe wrong. if you have any suggestions on how i can include the personal aspects of my life, such as me being gay, without getting too too personal, i'll be glad to adopt them:-) thanks:-)

Home / Undergraduate / The Story of Janay - i need help continuing this essay:-(