I am no stranger to many of the world's cultures; Rutgers Benefit, contribution essay

yasin97 1 / 1  
the question is
Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment? Consider variables such as your talents, travels, leadership activities, volunteer services, and cultural experiences.

any help is appreciated :)

Since I lived in four different countries and in seven different cities I am no stranger to many of the world's cultures. Of the seven cities I lived in three were cosmopolitan. Until the age of six I lived in the charming city of Cairo. although prominent, the city of Cairo was the least diverse city I lived in with the majority of the population Egyptian so for the first few years of my life I had never interacted with anyone of a different cultural background that that of my own country.

However, when I was seven years old I traveled with my family to another country looking for a better financial status and superior career opportunities for my parents. In Doha, Qatar, I noticed that a lot of the people came from different countries, although still confined to people from the Middle East and North Africa with whom I shared a common language. Three years later I went to Dubai where I found people from all over the world gathered there. During my residence in this world renowned city I came across people from over fifty countries. Later on I continued my journey through the world by traveling to East Rutherford were I was familiarized with the cultures of some of the Eastern and Southern European countries.

The Rutgers community, being one of the most diverse in the country, will allow me to examine cultures that aren't within my current knowledge. For example, the Rutgers community will allow me to interact with people of Latino origin, one of the missing pieces of my cultural knowledge puzzle, who make up close to twelve percent of the students. The diversity in the community will also enable me to interact with people from various cultures and backgrounds without unintentionally mentioning an unwanted subject of conflict or difference and will help erase the stereotypes depicted in movies and TV shows. The diversity in Rutgers will also broaden my perspective through contact with people who have different ideas and points of view.

One of the many ways I will be able to contribute to the community is via my knowledge of Middle Eastern and North African culture. This knowledge will allow me to elucidate that region's way of living and cultural traditions that are negatively interpreted by many. I can also contribute to the community through my participation in cultural clubs relating to my background such as the Arab cultural club and Association of Mediterranean Organizations at Rutgers University. My diversified interest and participation in many sports such as soccer, tennis, and basketball will allow me to contribute to the community through encouraging fellow students to try them. Another way I can contribute community is through my enthusiastic and constructive personality that will allow me to succeed and assist fellow students who have problems pertaining to education or other activities.

All in all, diversity isn't all about culture it is about the ideas, beliefs, perspectives, and approaches that people of different background provide to a community. The vibrant community of Rutgers will allow me to understand various cultures and perspectives of students from one hundred and fifteen different countries. Furthermore, I will be able to contribute to Rutgers through my background, life experience, knowledge, previous interactions, and passions that helped make me the person I am today.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
although Although prominent, the city of Cairo was the least diverse city I lived in with the majority of the population Egyptian so for the first few years of my life I had never interacted with anyone of a different cultural background that that of my own country.

Although prominent, the city of Cairo was the least diverse city I ever lived in that had a very large majority of Egyptian population. So, for the first few years of my life I never did interact with anyone from a different cultural background other than that of my own country.

However, when I was seven years old I traveled with my family to another country looking for a better financial status and superior career opportunities for my parents.

However, when I was seven years old, my parents moved into Qatar with me looking for better career prospects.

In Doha, Qatar, I noticed that a lot of the people came from different countries, although still confined to people from the Middle East and North Africa with whom I shared a common language.

Although I found better diversity in Doha, Qatar compared to Egypt with people from different countries, they too represented the Middle Eastern and North African countries and shared a common language.

Home / Undergraduate / I am no stranger to many of the world's cultures; Rutgers Benefit, contribution essay