Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'strength buried deep inside me' - Howard University Transfer Admissions

amayes24261 1 / -  
HI, Im posting because as of right now I am attending Valencia College to start my freshman year over again after almost a year break to work and save money (I had to leave the University of Pittsburgh because they took away my financial aid and the cost was too high, and they would not give me my transcripts) and I plan on transferring to Howard University as a sophomore. I will swap some words out for others because I noticed I have some repitition, but I just wanted some feedback overall and mostly for the opening, I almost feel it could be worded differently not including the words that are in the essay question. I will greatly appreciate any feedback and I thank you for your time

Transfer Admissions Essay Question: In 500 words, tell us what makes you, you. What are your strengths, weaknesses, and your motivation? What separates you from any other applicant? How do you think Howard University will increase your strengths and diminish your weaknesses?

In life everyone experiences unique situations and circumstances that reveal their strengths, weaknesses and motivations. Up until recently I never has to fight for my education. I was blessed to be able to move from a poor community in Southern Philadelphia to a place where I could receive a high quality learning experience. Never passing up an opportunity to further my educational and social growth, I studied hard to become a member of the National Honors Society and Kiwanis Club, an organization dedicated to helping the community by hosting and volunteering a myriad of fundraising events each year.

It was not until my freshman year in college when a sudden occurrence made me realize I would have to fight for the education I sought to become a surgeon for the Unite States Air Force. Well into my freshman year in Pittsburgh, I was told I would not be receiving financial aid due to a verification that was performed on my FAFSA. Soon after my family refused to have anything to do with the matter and I was forced to leave school with no credits. I was plagued with watching my friends and roommates choose their classes for next semester while I was packing, trying to find a place to live, and being stuck with the fact that I would have to someday start my freshman year over again all on my own. Realizing I was on my own I started to work as much as I could to save money and I was blessed to have a loving grandmother to provide me with a place to call home within hers. I grew ashamed of myself because I was not in college. I tried to ignore how embarrassed and hurt I felt until I started to realize I could choose to let my education pass me by or take it one day at a time until I was sitting in a lecture room chair once again. I began to work even more and started studying for exams I would later take that could give me the credits I was not able to receive before. Waking up every morning at 6 am, I started to jog and exercise, preparing myself for when I could be apart of the Air Force ROTC in the future.

I learned of a strength buried deep inside me that I never knew existed because of this endeavor. The strength of perseverance and determination that drove my motivation towards pursuing my education. As a transfer applicant to Howard University, I know the challenging yet rewarding academic and extracurricular environment will further my knowledge and motivation to succeed and embrace changes the future will bring. It is a blessing to be able to finish my freshman year and I hope to continue m educational journey at Howard University, where I know a challenging learning experience and mentors will further provide me with the tools I need to build a career for myself as a surgeon for the United States Air Force.

*If anyone who has applied to Howard University as a transfer, can you tell me if they ask about any extracurricular activities done in high school and in college and if they do request high school transcripts and if they let you can you upload a resume? Thank You

Home / Undergraduate / 'strength buried deep inside me' - Howard University Transfer Admissions