Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Strength, Confidence and Dedication' - UCLA Personal Statement for Biology major

Triciaasimon 1 / -  
What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

My interest in biology started as a child. I have always been a curious child and more specifically an accident prone child; which resulted in countless visits to a hospital for stitches amongst other things. Needles to say I was familiar with the hospital environment. Going to have stitches for me was like going to a Candy store, and no I don't mean just because of the lollipop at the end of my visit. With the addition of television shows such as ER and my most recent Christmas present, a Microscope it seemed as though I was unstoppable. After graduating high school I knew that what I wanted to study was Biology. After one year of college I quit due to medical reasons after which I decided I do not know what I am meant to do anymore, that perhaps I am not meant to be a biologist; so I quit and moved to Long Beach, CA. While there a family friend of mine, who I consider my second mother fell ill. She received medical care at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. During her stay, due to a language barrier and me being familiar with some of the terms that were used; I was able to comfort her and relay what the doctors were saying concerning her condition.

Being there with her and being able to see how the doctors of Harbor Medical Center took care of her. Made me realize that what I do best is taking care of people and making them feel better. Despite the fact that my family friend was ill, being in the hospital was still just as it was before, a day in a candy store. Seeing all the doctors and nurses working together to make hundreds of people healthy ignited a sort of fire inside my heart. I realized that I could walk into a hospital for the rest of my life and be happy with making people feel better and that Biology was still my passion. Although I know it is clichĂŠ the feeling of happiness and satisfaction because you helped a person and made their day or life better is priceless.

I have not done any volunteer work in the medical field; however I am part of our Student Advisory Board. As a member of the Student Advisory Board I am responsible for making sure that the students on campus have a voice. I attend freshmen orientations and speak to various students about the clubs we have as well as where a student can get help for various things to meet their needs. Besides my school involvement I also tutor my neighbor's children in Math, Biology and Chemistry.

What I have gained from all of these experiences is Strength, Confidence and Dedication. My experiences have showed me how to never give up and that nothing can stop me. And for that I am thankful. I will always continue to strive for the best. And to me the best is you, UCLA.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Strength, Confidence and Dedication' - UCLA Personal Statement for Biology major