Strong Healthcare Foundations: Statement of Intent Review

jetta 1 / -  
Please correct me and give me feedback. Anything is greatly appreciated!

Each prompt is a 200-word statement.

core skills and knowledge

What are the core skills and knowledge you hope to acquire by completing a degree in this major and how do you plan to apply these when you graduate?

Like any field in healthcare, strong foundational skills are important, which is why I chose the University of Florida Health Science Program. The model semester plan has a nice variety of courses in chemistry, biology, psychology, and public health. What I love most is that the upper division courses are primarily centered on patient care, bioethics, and analytical skills. But what sets this program apart from others is its mission to teach skills important for serving underprivileged communities and individuals. As a black working-class woman, this program tailors to my long-term goal of moving back to my hometown and providing quality medical care to less fortunate communities. If granted enrollment in this program, then I will have all the tools needed to be a valuable healthcare professional and an ideal candidate for medical school. My short-term goal is to use my CNA license and eventually attend medical school. By obtaining a Bachelor of Health Science, I will become a well-equipped healthcare provider and be successful in graduate school.

One at a time.
You have read the course description very well. You have noted the courses in the study list showing that you completely read the overview information about your chosen major. These are good for the reviewer to know. What is lacking is an actual reference as to how you will use your course within the profession. It is not enough to say you are a Black woman out to help your underserved community. That is too general a plan to present. Use specifics.

Do you plan to set up a clinic of sorts? Where? Why there? How would your presence as a CNA in the area change their current medical representation shortage? Would it be a pro-bono clinic?

The career plan needs to be better threshed out beyond just personal ambitions such as eventually attending medical school. How will completing this course and your immediate career plans, in relation to your community contribute to achieving that goal?

The application part is weak which is why I focused on it. This is the part that should convince the university you will be an exemplary student rather than just being a run of the mill diversity student.

Home / Undergraduate / Strong Healthcare Foundations: Statement of Intent Review