'a strong passion for programming' - USC Supplemental

RAVENSM 1 / -  
Hi everyone, here is my USC supplemental essay. I would appreciate any feedback that you guys give! I thank you with all my heart! Thanks! I am trying to send in my essay in ASAP. Thanks!

Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections. (3500 characters minimum)

Growing up in a technological age is considered to be a blessing for me, where I used my childhood life to learn about the wonders of computer technology. This subject has defined my character, my nature, and my future every time I press the "on" button. The fact that the University of Southern California is offering computer programming courses, is something I consider to be inevitable and thankful for.

My first encounter with a computer was when my father bought me a Windows 98. Its humongous design has brought me great wonder, which manifested itself into a passion of mine. From this point on, my education with computers has increased every time I enter the classroom. Even though this experience has been worth-while, it has left me with more questions than answers, such as how does a computer function? My desire to comprehend this intricate object has caused me to do research about it. It turns out, that a computer functions based on the hardware, and within the hardware contains programs that programmers must create. I always had ideas for technology and becoming a computer programmer would help me convert my ideas into a reality, which is why I have focused my years in high school and in college studying mathall the way up to Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. Having completed my math requirement and most of the general requirements, I am ready to take on my next challenge at the Viterbi School of Engineering.

Starting off in a bright way in the new year, I realized that I have made the right decision regarding my major after visitng the CES Convention in Las Vegas. The Consumer Electronics Show is the epitome of the future. Touring all the booths of what products will come out this year has been a mind-blowing experience, where I stumbled across representatives from Microsoft. Engaging in a conversation about their products has seriously boosted my morale. Then I started talking to them on a more personal level, about how I am a college student that has a strong passion for programming. Mike and Raj, the names of the representatives, told me that they graduated from UCSD with a degree in programming, and now they are head programmers for Microsoft. The way that they spoke to me is very similar to what any military recruiter tells you before you enlist. The opportunities in the future are great, but before getting there, one must endure a struggle. They told me that computer programming is not an easy task, for you have to learn a new language and it takes time to understand it. Listening to their experiences and struggles have further motivated me to pursue this major. Secretly, I want to experience the same journey Mike and Raj went through and grasp the rewards waiting at the end. The computer science department at USC is what I intend to focus on, where I want to study how programmers breathe life into a system by writing codes. There are times where I believe that computers have developed a nature of what computer geeks may call the "soul". As a future student of Viterbi, my teachers and my peers can teach me how to create life through technology. My parents and friends have told me that it is a long shot getting accepted into a prestigious school, but I know that this is the perfect school for me and it is worth it. Studying to become a progarmmer in a city that desires technology, LA will be the right place for me. Microsoft's motto is "Be what's next", and I know exactly what's next for me right after USC.
Growing up in a technological age wasconsidered to be a blessing for me, where I used my childhood life to learn about the wonders of computer technology.

My first encounter with a computer was when my father bought me a Windows 98.---How old were you?---Not necessary, but it will make your essay more personal.

It turns out, that a computer functions based on the hardware, and within the hardware containsare programs that programmers must create.

...focused my years in high school and in college studying math, all the way up to Linear Algebra and Differential Equations.

The way that they spoke to me is very similar to what any military recruiter tells you before you enlist.

They told me that computer programming is not an easy task, for you have to learn a new language, and it takes time to understand it.

There are times where I believe that computers have developed a nature of what computer geeks may call the "soul". ---Awesome sentence, but a scary concept!

Studying to become a programmer in a city that desiresthrives on technology, LA will be the right place for me.

They'll be lucky to have you as a student!
:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'a strong passion for programming' - USC Supplemental