'struggled heavily with depression' - Pepperdine essay

greeley 6 / 15  
Revisions greatly appreciated , does this answer the prompt?

Pepperdine University is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership. How are you prepared to contribute to Pepperdine's mission and community of faith, learning, and service?

When I was younger I struggled heavily with depression. It affected every aspect of my life- the relationship I had with my parents, with god, and my academic standing in school. My depression worsened throughout high school, but in time, I was able to leave that aspect of my life behind, strengthen my relationship with god and start anew. It was overcoming my depression that changed my life for the better and made me a more positive motivated individual, a motivated individual that strives to help others.

My depression worsened when I discovered I had a tumor. I did not have a close relationship with anyone not even god and did not know what to do. I felt like there was no point in trying anymore since I was going to die soon. I was at my rock bottom. I knew I needed a change to improve my life. I began to look into my faith and started going to my church's youth group. My relationship with god began to grow again.

When I had my tumor removed it was as if my life started over again; as if I was given another opportunity to make something out of my life, to find my purpose. My attitude changed completely from a negative to a positive; I was no longer depressed and looked forward to the future.

Motivation is the quality I am most proud to have. I strive for the best and have a positive outlook on life. I want to make something out of my life. When I walked into the first class of my senior year the first thing I saw was a poster of a skyline above it a lightning storm. The word "ELECTRYING" was bolded across the bottom, underneath that it read "imagine having an enthusiasm that electrifies others". This poster described me. Lightning is the symbol I associate with motivation. It is the symbol that I identify with myself.

My purpose I believe is to help others. I enjoy volunteering and am close to more than 500 hours of service. I volunteer a variety of ways but recently I have become more involved with my church. I am now a part of a group: Inland Congregations United for Change. It is a faith based organization focused on improving aspects of our community. Together we are currently working on setting up a community center, a place where students can go to exercise, study, and learn a variety of skills. One aspect of this project would also be to set up a tutoring program. I have tutored students since my freshman year. It is something I find great pleasure in. I enjoy tutoring young children because it is an opportunity to encourage them to pursue bright futures. The motivation I hold for myself also serves to encourage others.

I am prepared to contribute to Pepperdine through my knowledge from experience and from my desire to live a happy life helping the community.
jadore_lamode68 6 / 37  
Wow this is truly a great story although I feel like your narrative takes away from the response. You mention contributing your drive for service to the community but don't really expand on why or how you would at the university.

Otherwise well done!
Could you please take a look at my essay.

Home / Undergraduate / 'struggled heavily with depression' - Pepperdine essay