"struggling to comprehend my nemesis" - a significant experience

californiagirl 2 / -  
Hi, Gloria :)
I wrote my common app long essay!
It's about me learning about sarcasm because as a foreign student, it was confusing.
However, this challenge transformed me, and all that =)
please revise any grammar mistakes =)
Also, if you could give me a feedback about this essay, that would be great!
Thank you very much!
Have a nice day =)

*Also, I replaced lines ____ for people's names.

For the last five years, I have been struggling to comprehend my nemesis residing in America. This nemesis has been a source of great challenge and pain.

One day, ____, my sophomore English teacher, was a substitute for my math class. When I walked into the classroom about ten minutes late, I was perplexed. Everyone in the class including ____ looked upset. As I placed my heavy backpack on the ground, ____, one of my classmates, said, "___, we just had a pop quiz, and everyone failed it." I was intimidated. Moreover, ___, one of the best students in class, noted, "That was the hardest quiz ever."

____ asked me to take out a piece of paper and to have a seat while he prepared for the projector. I closed my eyes and slowly took a deep breath. Then, when I looked around the room, some students hesitated to make eye contacts with me for some reason, and Tiernan, looking back and forth between ____ and me, couldn't stop laughing.

"I am ready to take the quiz." I said. When he turned on the projector, nothing appeared. While I waited for him to put up the questions, ___ went in front of the classroom and used his two hands to make an acute angle. Then, he said, "Determine sine, cosine, and tangent of the angle I am making with my hands." Looking at the hands, my mind went blank; all I felt was an F on my quiz. As I strived to find the answers, I pictured myself a protractor to approximate the angle. After pondering for five minutes, I made the educated guess. As I was typing the numbers into the calculator, everyone including ____ burst into a laugh. At first, I was puzzled. Then, a smile spread across my face. I was relieved. "Oh, you were making a sarcastic humor."

This indeed turned out to be an unbelievable learning experience for me. Moving to America from Korea made me much more open-minded and whetted my appetite to learn about different cultures and sense of humors. Although this taught me a great deal about recognizing sarcastic humor as a part of American culture, in the end its greatest lesson was about life.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." said Lao Tzu. I took a single step by adjusting to ____ High School in America. Now, a journey of a thousand miles is awaiting me in college. I am ready for a new environment, a new class to be a part of, and a new adventure.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

This is an excellent essay! Mechanically and grammatically clean, organized, fluid, with a great story for the body. The introduction and conclusion are very neat, giving the essay a great framework to operate within. I wouldn't change anything! Nice job.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / "struggling to comprehend my nemesis" - a significant experience