Struggling to Pursue my Passion-USF Appeal

Juanesha 1 / 1  
I recently applied to USF in Tampa and was denied admission. This is my letter of appeal. Advice, suggestions, and corrections are welcomed! Thank you for your time!

Letter of Appeal

Dear University of Central Florida Faculty Committee,

My name is Juanesha Cobb and I am a transfer student seeking an university that exceeds in excellence to further pursue my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. I believe that the University of South Florida is the one for me. I heard many great things about the school and when I toured the campus. I immediately fell in love. I promptly completed the application process and later received a letter that denied admission. Even though I was very heartbroken, I knew exactly why I was denied.

During my years of studying at my previous education institution I had many withdrawals and I repeated many courses. A large percentage of my course work was unsatisfactory. Upon seeing my transcript, I would not blame anyone for not admitting me into their school. After knowing the facts I am writing this appeal letter because I wish to be reconsidered admission because education is very important to me and my transcript is a poor representation of who I really am.

The reasons for my unsatisfactory work stem from my health. In 2010, I was diagnosed with a medical condition that was poorly controlled and resulted in many hospitalizations. During my first hospitalization, I had surgery and was out of school for two weeks. I returned promptly thinking that I was well and could resume my studies. My health kept failing. I was advised to take medical leave but I was stubborn and thought that I could still perform in the classroom. I missed many days and the education department tried to work with me but became frustrated because they no longer knew how to help me. I took two medical leaves and tried to concentrate on getting better.

The whole experience was a depressing one. I was very ill and I felt unable to perform and complete any task. My dream of becoming a teacher started to fade as the situation got worse. Life seemed to just be at a standstill. I started to lose faith but my mother kept encouraging me to keep the dream alive. She told me teaching was my calling and she saw how well I worked with my class I taught at church. She kept pushing me to keep pursuing my dream because she gave up her dream of becoming a teacher. She never wanted me to regret not trying harder to reach my goal.

Since June 2012, I have not been admitted to the hospital and I have been feeling well. I began teaching again at church and volunteering at the Care Center. I spoke with an advisor at Polk State and she told me to try USF.

I want to be given the opportunity to attend this school because I have a vision. I have a passion for learning and teaching others what I have learned. I have a creative personality and fresh ideas on how to help students learn and enjoy learning. I want to have a second chance and after being given one, I want to prove that everyone can learn and that everyone has the ability to succeed.

I hope that you will reconsider my admission and I thank you in advance for taking the time to read my appeal. I look forward to hearing your decision at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
Juanesha Cobb
My name is Juanesha Cobb and I am a transfer student seeking admission to an university that exceeds in excellence to further pursue my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.

I heard many great things about the school and when I toured the campus. I immediately fell in love. I promptly completed the application process and later received a letter that denied admission. Even though I was very heartbroken, I knew exactly why I was denied.

You better tell them the features of the uni that you value so much. There's no harm telling them that heard all good about it, but you should display that your love for the uni is not just based on what others say or what you see on surface. Show them that you've done some research about the uni ; how those features are aligned with your aspirations.... You need to show them your strong personality traits through this letter : )

Home / Undergraduate / Struggling to Pursue my Passion-USF Appeal