'student engagement and outsanding academics' - supplement --Why Duke??

cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
Duke University strikes me as a school that has it all: academic intensity, school spirit, and a commitment to service. As a student intending to double-major in psychology and biology, Duke will provide me with an education of the highest caliber-one that that is research-oriented, interdisciplinary, and rigorous, and that will help me reach my eventual goal of becoming a medical doctor. Duke's Small Group Learning Experiences requirements are a particular draw for me, as I feel that being part of a close-knit classroom setting would allow me to become truly engaged in meaningful discussions. I also am interested in The Duke Undergraduate Research Society, through which I would be able to explore my curiosity for the sciences and broaden my knowledge through undergraduate research. Though the pathway to medical school is a difficult one, I know that a Duke education, full of challenges and inspiring academic inquiry, will be the best means of preparation.

Besides the outstanding academics, Duke also possesses a strong sense of student engagement. One program that stands out to me is Duke Engage, which allows undergraduates the opportunity to spend a transformative summer meeting a community need through immersive service. I would love to be a part of Duke Engage, as I believe that it represents the most important and fundamental use of education-service to others. Of the several programs offered, I am most interested in program in Kenya-Mombasa, which aims to help undergraduates address social, economic, health, environmental, and educational issues in the country. My interest in this specific program stems from my interest in humanitarian efforts in Africa, which I developed while writing a research paper in my sophomore English class and while researching African education for a Model UN conference. Reading about Africa's economic and educational state made me realize the need for action to be taken; action that would be most effective if pursued through active partnership with locals. Being able to spend a summer in Kenya working with community members to solve local problems would be a meaningful experience for me, an experience that would allow me to fulfill my passion for service and make a real difference. More than being a mere summer opportunity, I feel that the Duke Engage program represents the spirit of the university as a whole: ambitious and compassionate, with a commitment to making a positive impact on the world. It is this spirit that has convinced me that Duke University is the place I want to be able to call home.
AU0594 15 / 31  
This is pretty much mistake free :) but maybe add some more "zing" to the essay? You're obviously a good writer; you just have to work on maybe making this stand out a little more and giving it a unique edge to the rest of the essays because they will all sound pretty similar.
morr_j23 1 / 6  
This is very well written. Congrats on that. I honestly cannot think of something I would add to it, I see no grammar mistakes. You did a good job. I would send it if I were you. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'student engagement and outsanding academics' - supplement --Why Duke??