IB STUDENT SMU REJECTION APPEAL (DRAFT 1) for Bachelor of Business Management and BSc Economics

avocado1509 1 / -  
Appeal Letter
Hi reviewers, I really appreciate it if you could spare some time and review my work. I welcome any kind of constructive comments.

I have been rejected from SMU this is my letter of appeal. (Requirements: <1000 words)

REJECTION APPEAL letter

Thank you for gracing my appeal.

I would like my application for admission to the Bachelor of Business Management and Bachelor of Science (Economics) programs to be reassessed.

I have been a dedicated student of economics since I was 14 years old, and this is not just because I chose it as a subject in school, but also because of my involvement in many activities. In 2020, I founded a club at my school, which I have previously highlighted as an extracurricular accomplishment, but what I have not properly discussed is the amount of labor and hard hours I put into developing something of substance for the success of this organization. I understand that I must demonstrate my natural skills to SMU, I will briefly discuss how my efforts for the ExB Summit 2021 have advanced my interests in economics, business, debate, and corporate law. I envisioned six debates of varying difficulty to intrigue the audience and participants and lead to an intellectual debate. I was primarily responsible for developing study-guide documents for the debates to initiate the participants' arguments throughout the sessions for the debate to take place. Choosing simple subjects like minimum wage and more complicated ones like Brexit was difficult since both must be engaging without monotony at the end of the day. Although the ExB summit preparation was outside of my academic curriculum, we need roughly 20-page documents for each of the six debates produced to high quality, emphasizing the agenda specifics, the scope of debate, and FOR and AGAINST positions for all stakeholders involved. I spent hours, in the end, researching if Brexit has a positive impact on the EU and UK Economies. The most difficult component was not determining if China's economic expansion has come at the expense of other economies, but rather gathering data, analyzing it, and determining how this knowledge may be used to create a nice, and instructive study guide. I will attach all six study guides, as well as the ROP, to offer an overview of the quality of this work.

Another aspect I would like to highlight to demonstrate my interest in Economics is my extended essay on the Progressive Wage Model's effectiveness in meeting its goals of increasing the wages of Singaporean cleaners, the standard of living, and so on while improving the quality of cleaning services to improve customer service. All IB students write EEs, but what distinguishes mine, particularly in the realm of economics, is that I solely used secondary sources because of Singapore's severe PDPA rules protecting cleaners and their agencies. I used over 100 online sources to compose my 4000-word essay, and the most difficult work was not the research itself, but the sifting of material, data collection, and trend analysis to arrive at valid conclusions while making sound connections with relevant economic theories. I will also attach my essay for your understanding of its quality within a restricted period. With my intellectual curiosity and ability to work as hard as possible, I can demonstrate that I will thrive in my studies and contribute significantly to the quality of my cohort. Even though I received a 6 in IB economics and am only 6 marks away from a perfect 7, I have always fared well in Economics tests in school. I thoroughly liked reading 50 Years of Singapore's Productivity Drive, which gives a complete description of the productivity drive's stages, milestones, and activities since its humble beginnings in 1967. Productivity, a simple economic idea that will become a crucial driver in the future, was a key component that I concentrated on in my EE. I was able to put things into perspective and enjoy the information I gained by connecting what I had learned in school, particularly about interventionist supply-side policies, to the real policies adopted following discussion in the Singapore parliament.

I may have briefly highlighted my interest in design in my previous application because I served as a design member for my school's layout team, but I have not had the opportunity to demonstrate my passion and liking for digital art and design. Because of my attention to detail and aesthetic eye, I feel at ease and can explore the marriage of technology and art. If granted the opportunity to complete my undergraduate education at SMU, I may take advantage of extracurricular possibilities to produce authentic designs for various SMU events. I've worked as a student tutor for IGCSE students in a variety of situations and discovered that I like teaching when I understand the topic thoroughly. It was very fantastic to see people learn because of my teaching and commitment, and this is something I hope to continue in the future.

I was born with PCOS, a genetic hormone disorder, and my health was rapidly worsening between 2020 and 2021, with me being around 30 kgs overweight. My doctor clearly could not provide me a quick treatment for a disorder that disrupts the natural menstrual cycle, and the only thing she could suggest was that I lose weight, which is a problematic undertaking itself. I lost 20 kgs in just 6-8 months by exercising regularly and eating a very healthy diet. My better health and body image have made me feel secure in many public-speaking situations when I must put myself out there. Managing a weight-loss goal on top of all the rigors of academics and extracurriculars was a strain, but I do not regret it one bit, because having a healthy physique helped me improve my energy levels and even aided my studies.

During the previous two months of vacation following examinations, I have avoided idle and instead concentrated on recuperation, returning to old loves such as cycling, yoga, and swimming, and developing skills for future endeavors. These cover studying Python and Javascript, working on projects, and preparing for the GRE/GMAT as I wish to pursue an MBA at a reputed institute in a few years. I recently completed a Datacamp course on Introduction to R-programming, and am confident with the basics like Arithmetic with R, Variable Assignment, and basic data types. But, given my insatiable curiosity and tenacity, I did not stop there. I went ahead to master Vectors in R, Vector selection, selection by comparison, Matrices, Factors, Ordered factors and respective comparisons, Data frames, and Lists. I have also started playing chess for fun, but it has helped me strengthen my critical thinking skills. I truly like it now, and with more practice, I would consider taking it up in a more competitive setting.

Even though my academics may not reach the cut-off for this year, I believe I have the intrinsic quality to do well in my undergraduate study given my passion for the subject. Despite being denied acceptance to SMU, my ambition of having a successful career stays constant. Having said that, I believe that by attending SMU, I will be able to make significant progress in the right direction. Despite my rejection, SMU lingers in my heart, and I must exhaust all enrolment chances to be completely satisfied with the application process. I honestly hope that everything will work out in the end, and all I can do is file this appeal and let fate take its course. I would ask you to grant me a reconsideration for my admission. I appreciate the time you have taken to read my appeal and look forward to hearing from you.
Please do not blatantly ask for a reassessment of your application. It is not going to sit well with the appeals committee members. They already know you are asking for an appeal. What you should be doing is appealing to their sense of fairness by explaining the situations that could support a reconsideration of your application.

Use a softer tone in your approach. The current voice in the writing is a bit on the strong side. The wording used is not the kind that creates a sense of reconsideration in the committee members. This makes the applicant sound like a harsh person, irritated at not getting what was expected from the application. Move to create a softer written persona. Soften the impact of the words being used.

The letter is too long and tries to cover too many subjects for the consideration of the committee. If a reason for rejection was stated in the rejection letter, then it would be best to focus only on those aspects for the benefit of the readers. Remember that using too many reasons for reconsideration can also work against the situation. If there as no reason provided, then hazard a guess and focus on academic shortcomings instead. Health issues are not normally a consideration when filing acceptance appeals.

Home / Undergraduate / IB STUDENT SMU REJECTION APPEAL (DRAFT 1) for Bachelor of Business Management and BSc Economics