Students presenting a portfolio in Art Practice must include an artist's statement

ch15hann 6 / 11 3  

STANFORD SHORT ESSAY REVISION

I went ahead and rewrote this prompt:
Students submitting a portfolio in Art Practice must include an artist's statement of no more than 250 words describing concepts, formal issues, process, and influences.

This is my second draft, so please let me know if there is anything to fix.

Words to some people may only appear to be composed of letters, but to me, words are the roots to a powerful usage of imagination and creation of an artwork. When I see a word on a poster, or in a book, I can immediately visualize how the word can be portrayed in my art.

Before I begin my painting, I mentally visualize the word several days before and think about the definition. From there I picture my canvas and think about the placement of objects I will place on there. I have always preferred thinking rather than sketching my ideas because I find this process much more memorable and thoughtful towards my art.

My artwork heavily relies mostly on color, shape, line, space, and pattern. Since my style revolves around illustrations, the texture is abstract and forms are usually exaggerated. I have one piece that consisted of 45 pumpkins where I used over fifty colors. After careful placement of colors, the composition was balanced. Some of the shapes were flat, while I added some shadow to the others to create forms. The spacing between each pumpkin is either tight or overlapped because I wanted to create a crowded but a communal effect. I love to use inconsistent patterns because even though there is an obvious repeating number of objects, the integration of a few distractions creates a more complex piece. From words to my imagination to the outcome, I have never been so driven to constantly produce masterpieces.
arnoldb 2 / 2 2  
Hi, I think this a great essay.
I think there is too much of visualize there, try another synonym of visualize to replace that in the second paragraph. you can say...Before I ..., I envision the word

Home / Undergraduate / Students presenting a portfolio in Art Practice must include an artist's statement