Studied Biblie, a toddler - Choosing between two topics

nachichi 2 / 2  
Prompt is: Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

As the thread title says, I'm having trouble deciding between two topics to write about. The first one is about how I was affected attending a Christian school despite being Buddhist, while the other it about how the freedom of choice I was given by my parents allowed me to develop in my own way. I've written openings for each:

#1) I still vividly recall mornings that began with singing hymns and lunch breaks when it was imperative that we first said grace. Aside from usual subjects like English and math, I studied the Bible. But while the other students were attending church on Sunday, I was going to the Buddhist temple school on Saturday.

Before my parents chose to transfer me to the public school system, for my first three years of education I attended a Christian private school. Conversations grew awkward whenever someone noticed the necklace I wore, which depicted an image of the Buddha. No, I did not pray before going to bed, nor did I say grace with my family during meals. Most of the time, short and succinct replies to queries quickly ended.

#2) As a toddler, my parents were my entire world. Never was there a decision to make that I did not first ask them for advice on. When I grew older, however, a foreign concept was suddenly thrust upon me: self-sufficiency. Rather than rely on them, I now had to make my own decisions and conclusions in regards to how my life would be like. Needless to say, having such freedom was initially unsettling for a child of seven so used to dependence. However, I have come to realize that such an autonomous upbringing has taught me numerous skills I would never have developed otherwise.

Any constructive input would be gratefully received!
FireTiger 8 / 49  
The first one is more unique. The second one, there's going to be like...50000 people who may talk about the same thing, who COULD talk about the same thing.
I think you should go with the one that involves the temple, but make a connection to your intended field of study so that you seem resolute in your determination about it... because the "person you have become" is someone with a clear plan about the future; that plan is rooted in your experience that you describe in the essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Studied Biblie, a toddler - Choosing between two topics