"I study physics during my free time" - MIT

ekfoong 10 / 46  
my other thread got deleted because I'm a horrible subject writer. So here goes!

We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it.(100 words or fewer) i'm right on the money with 100 words! :)

"I study physics during my free time, " I say. My remark is usually replied with a perplexed face that communicates, "Are you crazy?"

Dare I say, I'm not crazy! I see physics in everything around me: when I'm snowboarding atop Wisconsin mountains- friction coefficient, when I listen to The Bravery or MGMT- longitudinal and compression sound waves, when I tinker with my solar panels- photoelectric effect.

Physics helps me to understand my world and my universe which gives me a unique satisfaction I can't attain by any other means. I know that physics phenomenon will phasinate me phorever.

thanks for reading :)
Katsch 4 / 63  
My remark is usually replied with a perplexed face that communicates, "Are you crazy?"

Maybe this sounds better? It's up to you. "The usual response: a perplexed face that says, "Are you crazy?" "

Physics helps me to understand my world and my universe which gives me a unique satisfaction

Physics helps me to understand my world and my universe, giving me a unique satisfaction...

Haha, I'm totally on the fence about your last line. It cracked me up a little, but perhaps the overboard nerdiness is perfect for MIT.
OP ekfoong 10 / 46  
thanks for the quick read :)

about that last line...
I was thinking if I wanted it to be examined online i might as well go all out to see how it's received!

overboard or good fit? -- perhaps it is a little overboard. haha!
Katsch 4 / 63  
I guess it depends on your reader's sense of humor. But hey, at least you'll know that line will leave an impression! (:
sbrooks10 2 / 18  
I do think the last line is a little much, even for MIT. It's kind of bill nye the science guy humor ish. You're call on that one.

The only other thing I would change is the "Dare I say, I'm not crazy!" Part because it kind of makes you sound like a mad scientist, and in doing so sort of refutes your point ;) It's cute and lively but you already have the quotations in there to bring your story to life so you don't need to over do it with the over enthusiasm. Just a thought!

Hope this helps!
OP ekfoong 10 / 46  
sorry Katsch... I would reply to yours however I'm writing the exact same essay right now. I guess it's a stupid personal rule of mine that i don't really like reading similar prompts. i want to keep my writing a raw and organic compilation of my own thoughts. Give me a few hours until I finish mine, then I'd be happy to return the favor.

yeah. it is a bit much isn't it? I guess I was going for cute but it deff backfired. I never realized how nerdy I am until this tiny discussion. My red pen will definitely be busy slashing that out and revising.
Katsch 4 / 63  
Oh, no problem, I understand. I hate it when I start writing and it sounds like someone else's work.
Don't worry about it unless you get the time, and good luck with that prompt as well! Meanwhile, I'll be trying to redo mine.

Home / Undergraduate / "I study physics during my free time" - MIT