'I want to study psychology' - major UC transfer Prompt 1.

joseph_12345 1 / -  
Feel free to commit. I think its garbage but Ian going with it.

What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experiences you have in the field - such as volunteer work, internships, and employment, participation in student organizations and activities- and what you have gained from your involvement

It was a cold and windy Monday afternoon. There was a young child of about six years of age. He was three feet tall and weighed about 55 pounds. He had light skin, dark brown eyes, and curly dark hair. He was sitting in the favorite corner of his living room couch watching cartoons. His mother, a middle aged heavy Hispanic lady with thick eyebrows, brown eyes and a smile so big that brightens the room was preparing his favorite afternoon meal. The smell from the chicken and rice she was preparing would slowly enter her child's nostrils and make his tummy growl. It had been a long day at school for the child. He was hungry and was looking forward to after his meal so he can go play with his friend across the apartment hall. All of a sudden, the happy and healthy world the young boy knew would come to a halt. He suddenly began to feel an increase in his heart rate. His heart began to pound like it had never pounded before, and he felt like he was about to die. The young boy did not know what was happening to him. Scared and with great anxiety, he began to scream and call his mother for help. Dazed and confused, the mother dropped the pan where she was stirring her rice and rushed to her child's side. She hugged him with all her strength and was telling her son that everything was going to be ok. On her knees praying with tears running down her face, she got up and ran outside the door down the stairs of her apartment building seeking for assistance. One of her neighbors spotted her, called the ambulance and the young boy was rushed to the hospital. The biggest battle of the child's life was about to begin. That child experiencing an anxiety attack was me. The woman trying to help her child was my mother.

When I was a child, there was a period of time when I began to experience psychological problems. Suffering from anxiety, I recall those long dreadful nights when my heart rate would increase and I could barely breathe. I would feel like death was knocking at my bedroom window. This illness made my parents go through great lengths in order to help me cope with the disorder. It was not easy for my family finding help. My father and mother are both from poor rural villages in El Salvador. They could not afford school. My father barely knows how to read and write and my mother is illiterate. It has been a financial struggle for my family in the United States. We have never been able to afford health insurance. The lack health insurance made my situation worse. When I was suffering from anxiety, my parents would not know where to seek help. They would take me to multiple physicians but all they would do is refer me to someone else. My parents could not afford to take me to a psychologist because it was too expensive. The only resources which were available to them were friends who would offer friendly advice. Most of the advice was home remedies. Whenever I would get anxiety attacks my mom would get an aloe Vera plant, split it open, and put all the gooey stuff all over my chest and face. I even recall taking medicine made from the shell of a porky pine and feces from a horse. After saving enough money my parents manage to fly me out of the country to search for help. In El Salvador, my family was able to afford a psychiatrist and a therapist. It took my family about three years to find the proper help for me. It was a horrible experience and I have never forgotten those endless nights I went through.

This is the reason why I want to study psychology. I do not want my story to be repeated. I do not want people to eat horse feces or rub aloe lover all over their face in an attempt to cure their psychological problems. Psychological disorders usually get suppressed in my community. There is not a lot of help available and a lot of people who are psychologically illnesses do not like to seek the help. I want to assist all of those people in need. Overcoming anxiety has helped me understand the challenges anxiety presents and I want to help people overcome their psychological problems.
His mother, a middle aged heavy Hispanic lady with thick eyebrows, brown eyes and a smile so big that it brightens the room, was preparing his favorite afternoon meal.

He was hungry and was looking forward to after his meal so he could go play with his friend across the apartment hall.

Scared and with great anxiety, he began to scream and call to his mother for help.

On her knees praying with tears running down her face, she got up and ran outside the door and down the stairs of her apartment building seeking for assistance.

This illness made my parents go to great lengths in order to help me cope with the disorder.

It was not easy for my family to find help.

After saving enough money, my parents managed to fly me out of the country to search for help.

This is the reason why I want to study psychology.

I do not want people to eat horse feces or rub aloe vera all over their face in an attempt to cure their psychological problems.

There is not a lot of help available and many people who are psychologically illnesses do not like to seek the help.

I like the way you write! Good luck with school, and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'I want to study psychology' - major UC transfer Prompt 1.