Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Studying abroad to learn more' (medicinal chemistry personal statement)

Mai Linh 1 / 1  

Why you would like to come to Australia to study and your aspirations.

For many years, I have been dreaming of becoming a medicinal chemist in order to design new drugs for cancer. Doing this, I will have the potential to save hundreds, possibly thousands of lives, and I can imagine how happy I would be when seeing others survive thanks to my work. Then, when I have been successful, I want to found an institute of chemistry in Asia, specifically in my home country of Vietnam. Because I think the education in my country is too academic, I want to make the education more practical - knowledge can only be useful if we apply it to the real life. My institute would focus on practical chemistry and would be equipped by the most modern machines at that time to help students conduct experiments that they have just studied in their classes. We would teach the new generation the real application of this subject in everyday life by some lessons related to chemical industry, engineering and medicine. As a result, not only may some students find their passion in this science subject after our classes, but also young chemists from developing countries could have a modern and well-equipped laboratory to carry out complicated experiments to design new drugs, cosmetics, chemicals,... Thus, they, as well as other scientists all over the world, can develop the World's chemistry and pharmaceutical science.

To make my dream come true, I want to study abroad to learn more, know more and study more modern science, especially medicinal chemistry. I want to know where our humanity is in the science world- what we have discovered and what we need to discover. That is one of the reasons why I want to study in Australia - a place where I might find the key to my success. Australia has been famous for its decent and liberal education for a long time, with many excellent universities in top 100 or top 200 of the world, such as Australian National University or The University of Melbourne. Moreover, I have heard of some famous centers of research and teaching in chemistry, namely the School of Chemistry at The University of Sydney, or that at University of New South Wales, as well as an outstanding institute: Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI). And, last but not least, Australia makes me really like it by its friendly people and peacefulness, which would make it a dream come true for me to study there.

Because studying abroad has always been one of my dreams, I ,as well as other scholarship applicants, have to try hard to get a good GPA score and a high IELTS, SAT, TOEFL score. But unfortunately, I did not know it at the beginning of my high school days, I thought only high scores at English tests can assist me in getting a scholarship. Consequently, I spent too much time studying English and did little schoolwork. That is the reason why I got low score, in comparison with my classmates, at the final exam of the first semester. As I felt very sad and embarrassed about that, I spent a whole morning thinking a lot about what I should do in the next semester. Finally, I decided to make a new start to balance my English study and my study at school. Therefore, I aimed for the top ten highest total score of the whole school year and the chemistry team selection test, even though at that time, I only had three more weeks to prepare for the test and all of my friends had prepared for it much sooner. However, I still wanted to set that goal because I thought it was not a question of time spent on studying, but the question of the way I study. Then, I made a timetable which I dutifully followed every day and I had a book to write down every tip that I picked up after solving each problem in chemistry. Moreover, not only did I try to prove as many formulas as I could to understand them properly, but I also used my imagination to understand resonance effect and stereochemistry. After that three weeks, I took the team selection test and got the second highest score of the whole chemistry class, and I finally got the fourth highest total scores at the end of the school year too. Until now, sometimes I still wonder what would happen if I was not strong and just let myself shattered when I got low scores at the first semester. But I just smile and leave that question there because I know that is not me and I would never do that.

(This is a personal statement for High School scholarship)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Studying abroad to learn more' (medicinal chemistry personal statement)