'studying photography' - FSU Essay -- Vires, Artes, Mores

K_Titus 1 / 1  
The prompt is: "For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life."

I remember the very first time I developed a roll of film. It was only the first week of term in the introductory photography course offered at my school, and the class was already being thrust forward into this new world of chemicals and paper. As a teenager in the twenty first century, the only camera I had ever had serious interaction with was the generic point-and-shoot digital cameras one found at the local electronic store. I had no concept of developing pictures, or using film for that matter. So, for one who enjoys new experiences, I was ecstatic to start. I processed the film exactly as told, placing the correct chemicals in at the correct time, anxiously awaiting the results. As the half hour or so that is necessary for the film to developed passed, I enthusiastically poured out the remainder of photo-flo, the last chemical that the film needed to soak in. I opened the light blocking canister, and unraveled my film. To my horror, half of the frames were completely blank, having not developed properly. I was heartbroken, but didn't let it affect me for long. I almost instantaneously unpacked a brand new roll of film and placed it my camera, ready to try again.

It took a few more rolls, but eventually I got the hang of developing both the film and the individual prints in the darkroom. Soon, more and more frames came out correctly, until one day I had the entire length of film complete with not a single smudge on a frame. I began spending hours of the day outside with my camera hanging around my neck like it was another appendage. I tinkered and toyed with all of the buttons, and practiced new techniques so I could bring new and original work to the table every day in class. I would spend my lunch period in the darkroom working on prints, mastering the elements required to create the perfect picture. Soon, I wasn't only taking normal pictures; I was utilizing a number of techniques to create an array of effects. One day, I showed my art teacher one of the techniques I had attempted in hopes of receiving a critique. She ended up admitting to me even she had never tried the particular technique, an inverted photogram, and that she was impressed with my adventurous works of art.

Even now that I have been studying photography for three years, I still maintain the same level of inquisitiveness and excitement for my hobby as I did that first time I developed a roll of film. My skill has increased tenfold since that first week, where I felt much like a baby learning to walk on my own two feet. On top of having a flair for the arts, and an insightful eye as to what would make an out of the ordinary photograph, I feel that my enthusiasm for photography is also found in everything I do. Whether it comes to taking photos, writing poetry and short stories, volunteering in the community, working for a class, or even just discussing the Harry Potter series with fellow fans, I always strive to put my best foot forward, and work hard to reach a goal. I enjoy picking things apart, and finding out how they work, whether it is for an assignment or just a hobby. I'm passionate about everything I engage in, and find that this quality helps make me who I am today.
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
I like this essay because it is light-hearted and consistant throughout. I would also include the beauty aspect of Artes though in addition to your skill.

One day, I showed my art teacher one of the techniques I had attempted in hopes of receiving a critique. She ended up admitting to me even she had never tried the particular technique, an inverted photogram, and that she was impressed with my adventurous works of art.

I would just condense this to something like "Even my art teacher was impressed with my different techniques and adventurous works of art."

Overall I think that you have done a good job. Perhaps it is not the most impressive essay but it is solid and strong.
To my horror, half of the frames were completely blank, having not developed properly.

What went wrong? The narrative you have is fairly predictable, but if you say you did everything you were told perfectly correctly the first time, and that nothing turned out, then it sounds odd unless you explain what caused the photos to be blank.

On top of having a flair for the arts, and an insightful eye as to what would make an out of the ordinary photograph, I feel that my enthusiasm for photography is also found in everything I do.

This seems forced. Presumably you wrote about photography precisely because it meant more to you than the other things you do that you could have written about. Also, even if true, it is a point you could have tacked on to any essay on this topic. The reader would prefer to know what you learned from photography specifically.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
K_Titus:

This seems forced.

What makes this seem contrived is the "is found in." Say something like, "I tend to be enthusiastic about everything I do. Photography is perfect for me, because it allows me to exercise my flair for artistic expression and my eye for picture composition."
OP K_Titus 1 / 1  
Okay. Thanks everyone so much for your help! I'll definitely fix the bumps I have. I appreciate you all looking over it!
ionutalbu25 3 / 10  
Hi. I copied and pasted your whole essay in a word document because it seems as if the essay is too long. I was right your current essay is 580 words and there is a 400-500 word limit on the topic. So I strongly urge you to cut it down a little bit. Hope this helps. Good luck!
ionutalbu25 3 / 10  
Edit: As long as you dont go over 550 words you should be alright. My FSU essay is 535 and I just submitted it.
Beautifulnights 1 / 14  
I like it! and as someone who took photo I once, I can totally relate the whole "half the frames were blank"! thing. =]

The essay is especially nice because you tie it into an extracurricular (photography classes), which they'll see on your transcript.

Home / Undergraduate / 'studying photography' - FSU Essay -- Vires, Artes, Mores