Submitting in 2 hours: Cornell Architecture Supplement

vivalacanada 3 / 9  
The Baptism of Architecture

I could never forget the first time riding an airplane. Fourteen years passed but the joy and excitement are still vivid and unfading in my mind. When the plane was about to land, I looked into the landscape of trees, driveways and houses. The scene reminded me of something and I yelled out:

"Mom, we are gonna land on dad's plan!"

Born in an architect family, I have been absorbing architecture since a very young age. Therefore, my interests grow from seeds of the profession and go hand in hand with it.

I absorbed architecture when I caught the sparks of my thoughts and transformed them into reality. As a left-handed kid who never let go of the Lego toys, I spent most of my childhood on those little bricks to fulfill my wildest imagination. I loved creating: castles, spacecrafts, automobiles with six wheels, flying objects, dinosaur-shaped robots, et cetera.

I absorbed architecture when I immersed myself in the rationalism brought by math and physics. When my elementary school teacher forced me to write with my right hand because the Chinese character I wrote was mirror-imaged, I opened my mind to left-brain related activities, among which math and physics appealed to me most. I enjoy the process of problem solving as well as the sensation of simply being challenged. From AP tests to math contests, I care more about the process than the results.

I absorbed architecture when I carried my art kit near a quiet forest and started observational drawing in a sunny afternoon. I have always loved art. I draw using my both hands, depending on which one I found convenient. When practicing still life, I enjoy the process of preparing myself to express my thoughts in an undistorted way. When doing art ad lib, I try to deliver the inspiration in a profound way. It gives me an empowering feeling when people stop in front of my work in the school gallery. To me, art is not simply an interest, it is also a responsibility.

I absorbed architecture when I observed history. Experiencing the journey of mankind, I ask myself the "what if" questions and envision a different path. Through the limited evidences, humanity presents itself in the most approachable way. History gives me the chance to understand people in a deeper sense and a boarder context. It invests me with the cultural literacy to interpret the ever changing world.

I absorbed architecture when I walked in the streets of different cities, pondering the interaction between human and environment. Walking through Canton, Shanghai, Singapore, Tokyo, Kyoto, Kobe, Brisbane, Sydney, Vancouver, Toronto and Seattle, I explored different cultures and experienced how dominant humans are in terms of remolding the environment. I love traveling and this enables me to break the restriction of being localized, thus gaining a better vantage point.

Years passed and I finally came to the realization. The profession of architecture, which I have been absorbing naturally since my childhood, is a spontaneous choice.

last minute advice please
Angela629 9 / 86  
"Mom, we are gonna land on dad's plane !"

Therefore, my interests have grown from seeds of the profession and gone hand in hand with it.

Years have passed and I have finally came to the realization. The profession of architecture, which I have been absorbing naturally since my childhood, is the spontaneous choice.

Here are some of the things I have corrected, I'm not sure whether this is good grammar, and you can scrap it whenever you need. By the way, I think you might need to rewrite(paraphrase) the last paragraph to make it more convincing. Like saying, for all these years I have waited, I will finally be immersed in the knowledge of architecture, or something like that.

angela
priscileung 10 / 42  
"Born in an architect family"
I think this might sound better if you write it as "Born into a family of architects"

"I draw using my both my hands"

"History gives me the chance to understand people in a deeper sense and a boarderbroader context."

No major errors. Good job and good luck with Cornell!
We have a lot in common - I'm a lefty who loves Lego and applying for arch too! (though not to Cornell)
Born in a family of architects, I have been absorbing the spirit of architecture since a very young age.

I like the repitition. How about "absorbing the spirit of architecture"

The scene reminded me of something I had seen some blueprints on my dad's desk.

"Mom, we are gonna land on dad's plan!" Is there a better, more descriptive word than "plan?"

Home / Undergraduate / Submitting in 2 hours: Cornell Architecture Supplement