"the Sunrise Assisted Living home volunteer work" - short extracurricular explanation

xblo0x 6 / 8  
My most important extracurricular is volunteer work that takes place at the Sunrise Assisted Living home in Westfield, New Jersey; a home for the elderly and a place for those with Alzheimer's. Since September 2009 I have been going to Sunrise almost every Saturday for about 2 to 3 hours. In the beginning months of my volunteering there I held an art class in which the residents would stop by and make small crafts with me. I would also go to Reminiscent; the unit in which the Alzheimer's patients stay, and play games with them or help the workers serve lunch. In the more recent months I have been helping a retired professor write various articles to newspapers and magazines. In addition to this, I help residents with their computers, go on walks, complete puzzles, and just talk about their days. Currently we are beginning to arrange activities for the new year.
sidbush 3 / 26  
It sounds a bit choppy but good other than that. Perhaps it would be good to add how doing this work has impacted you personally?
debater514 6 / 18  
This is a really good start to your essay. I would recommend focusing a little more on why you volunteer. Why is this so important that it is the subject of your essay?
biggly 1 / 7  
Hi,

I like your essay but you can definitely make it more precise. You take up space and lose a lot of meaning in the clutter.

I volunteer at the Sunrise Assisted Living home, a home for the elderly and a refuge for Alzheimer's patience. I volunteer here every Saturday for 2 to 3 hours. I conducted an art class where I made small crafts with the residents.

Maybe you can tell us what you've learned from doing this or what it means to you? Good luck!
OP xblo0x 6 / 8  
forgot to include the prompt :

Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer, 1000 character maximum).
jshah 4 / 12  
This is a good essay, and a good subject.
But like sidbush said, i would work on how it impacted you personally

Home / Undergraduate / "the Sunrise Assisted Living home volunteer work" - short extracurricular explanation