You Are My Sunshine - Common App Essay

JMy 2 / 4  
Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

"Did you listen to You Are My Sunshine last night?" My voice was laced with a little too much excitement.

"Yeah. It was alright. Not that great though."

This reaction is common in every friend to whom I have recommended the album 'You Are My Sunshine' by Copeland. No matter how close our tastes in music are, there is no one I know with the same passion and appreciation for that album, or even that band.

I found the album by pure chance, perhaps even by mistake, during the summer of 2009. They were presented to me (a divine gift of sorts, I like to believe) in my Youtube suggestions one afternoon. The first song I listened to was 'Chin Up', which I later found out was the third track on the album.

"You'd break your neck to keep your chin up." Aaron Marsh's repetitive haunting vocals resonated deeply within me. That one simple line had so meanings attached to it, all of which I felt applied to me on an emotional level. Instantly I thought of the many times I'd smile through my pain so that I wouldn't become a burden to my friends.

'I'm hurting myself...' The revelation creeped up onto me leaving a bitter, heavy feeling in its wake.

"And the drops come in a snail race down to your neck, and look up, but you were smiling somehow." The drops did form and I found myself actually crying as this song released a combination of emotions so overwhelming and confusing that I began to shake.

Those slow synths and simple melodies seeped and burrowed into my mind, slowly changing my life and opening my eyes to the vast world of indie music. The lyrics, and the power Aaron Marsh contains in his voice were simply incredible and echoed in my heart.

"The world has moved, be quick enough to miss it now... I'm afraid you've stopped to lick your wounds, " he sings in another song, brilliantly referring to how fast the world progresses and how we have to keep moving forward no matter what happens. I've learned a great deal in life lessons from this well-arranged album.

The high, smooth and poetic sounds of each song have tempered me and allowed my mind to experience a new state of almost continuous peace. To this day, humming any one of those songs under my breath can put an end to any festering frustration. There is a special quality this album possesses, that has taught me (and is still teaching me) how to put things into perspective and truly focus on what's in front of me. I can say with conviction that listening to that album was one of the best decisions of my life.

You Are My Sunshine is a breathtaking, stunning release from a band that has changed my life.

Any feedback would greatly appreciated. Be as candid as you like :)
P334243 3 / 14  
I like your essay. It's sincere and frank. However, it seems repetitive at times. and you only really get to answering the second part of the question in the last paragraph. Otherwise, great job!

Now will you return the favor, and read my essay. Thanks!
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Ironic eh?
I began reading this & I was like 'I love Copeland', so I scrolled down & got the shock of me life. Hey Justine, its Zhoe!

Any who. Your essay is well written, but it needs to have more about YOU, cause that's what the common app. is all about. So you should incorporate more about how Copeland changed/affected you maybe add an anecdote or something.

:)
sarahbee 1 / 49  
i like it. i think that you answer the prompt pretty well. although you only really mention the prompt towards the end, you are answering it throughout your essay. I think it accomplishes what you want.

if you have time, please check out my rice essay!
OP JMy 2 / 4  
@P334243 Thank you :) I'll put more about their influence on me. Sure I'll read yours.

@ZhoeK Zhoooooooooooooe! Thanks yea, I'm gonna put in more about me. Zhoe, your essays are SHOT! As in, I didnt know you could write like that still. Trust me, you're gonna have no problems.

@sarahbee Thank you! I'll be sure to read yours
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Justine

LOOOOLHAHA. thank you. I don't really talk about it, but I love writing!! Been having writers block of late though. :(
You write well as well so I don't think you'll have any problems either.

Home / Undergraduate / You Are My Sunshine - Common App Essay