BU Supp: Leaps and Bounds - spectacular progress or growth in a big way.

Hannover96 4 / 17  
Given what you know about Boston University, what do you hope to accomplish as an undergraduate here? Please respond in an essay of no more than 500 words.

By definition, if one does something in leaps and bounds, they are prone to making spectacular progress or growth in a big way. All my life, I've made leaps, and I've made bounds. It's a habit of mine to go big on everything, to absorb lessons like a sponge, to aim at success, and to engage myself completely in programs that will further my growth. I'm bounding towards becoming a Boston University student. As an undergraduate, I can guarantee that I will always contribute to the university in a positive, intelligent way - with the intent of becoming the experienced, worldly, and knowledgeable person I've always wanted to become.

As a multifaceted individual, my interests lie in the studies of International Relations, Law, and English. I was ecstatic when I found that BU offers various means of combining all three subjects through its curriculum - the fact that CAS is home to an entire International Relations department, one that is far beyond other schools in breadth, (actually, its mere existence is far beyond other schools), is more than I could have ever imagined. I've always been fascinated by international systems and the way in which humanity functions - and as an undergraduate at Boston University, I'll certainly be taking advantage of courses in diplomatic practice and global justice. Becoming the student of an international lawyer or former ambassador, especially former U.N. diplomat Mr. Charles Dunbar, would be an honor for me. I can't wait to leap into the intensive coursework he'll be assigning!

As an undergraduate, I plan to use my strengths and interests in writing, critical thinking, performing arts, and the environment to better my experience as both a student and participant in the BU community. I would like to see my work published in the Writing Program's annual e-journal or "The Back Bay Review." In high school I've been an avid member of the Young Writer's club, and my work has already been published in the local newspaper. I am also eager to participate in a BU a cappella choir. (My favorite BU a cappella group are the Barbershop Sweethearts.) Perhaps most of all, I am hoping to become a member of the Corporate Social Responsibility Club - it's a big leap from the Green Club I started at my school, and as an undergraduate at BU I would love to support a healthy, vibrant environment for my classmates.

As an enthusiastic, creative, motivated, and conscientiousness student, I know that I will easily engage myself in the Boston University community and programs. I know that I have something substantial to contribute to Boston University, and I am fully prepared to engage my heart, mind, and soul in the BU vision and curriculum, just as I have in my hometown. Boston University offers me not only the chance to engage myself in an outstanding learning environment, but also the opportunity to employ the lessons and skills I've learned in my experiences to give back, in leaps and bounds, to the Boston community.
clocktower 1 / 5  
I love the structure of this essay - especially how you tied it back to "leaps and bounds" in the conclusion.
You definitely answered the question and it's also obvious that you've researched what BU has to offer.
I see no problems. Fantastic work and best of luck!
OP Hannover96 4 / 17  
Thank you so much for taking the time to look my essay over! I don't think there are grammatical errors, I just would like to know what you think :)
sasalbyongari - / 2  
By definition, if one does something in leaps and bounds, they are prone to making spectacular progress or growth in a big way. - "One is singular. I know that we tend to say "one" and "they" together, but it is actually wrong in writing.

I think you did great job with the essay. It really shows you know about the school. But I'm afraid that the second paragraph contains TOO much info that it seems like you "copied and pasted" the whole thing (not that I am accusing you of it) you might want to tone it down a little regarding the details and add something personal in the essay. Again, great job, and I would appreciate it if you can read my princeton supplement as well! Thanks.
OP Hannover96 4 / 17  
Huh. I hadn't realized it might sound like I copied and pasted...Do you mean mentioning the specific professor? Perhaps I should take that out. I just wanted them to know what I'm interested in and the specific courses I'd like to take...Anyway. I'll take another gander and see if I can articulate that paragraph in a more personal way.

And of course I'll look at your Princeton Supp. :)
This is the kind of case where I would want to use " " marks:
By definition, If one does something in "leaps and bounds," they are...
And I cut "definition." Less is more...

The enthusiasm and intelligence reflected here are impressive. There seems to be something missing from that first paragraph, though. It is all one big claim. It is written so skillfully that I believe it, but it really would be good if you expressed the idea that your motivation COMES from something you feel strongly about rather than simply from your personality. It has more credibility if you say you are motivated BECAUSE of something meaningful that the reader can get inspired about, too.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / BU Supp: Leaps and Bounds - spectacular progress or growth in a big way.