Supplemental UK perspective you bring or experiences you bring you've had to help us understand you

lmmwill1 1 / -  
PROMPT- If you'd like to share a perspective you bring or experiences you've had to help us understand you better - perhaps related to a community you belong to, your sexual orientation or gender identity, your family, cultural, or religious background

the Brady Bunch

"Here's the story of a lovely lady. Who was bringing up three very lovely girls." Even though the Brady Bunch is before my time, I was well aware when one refers to the theme song they are referring to a "perfect family." When my mom starts to sing those lyrics I know it is her way of saying we are not the Brady Bunch, and no family is perfect.

My parents met in their late teens and did not date long before my mother became pregnant with my brother. At the time, neither of my parents had a high school diploma and my dad dropped out of high school his junior year; and, both were still living with their parents. With all the pressures from their situation my parents broke up and went their separate ways. My grandfather told my father if he "wasn't going to school he better get a job!" but without a diploma that was impossible. My dad took the GED and passed but worked low paying unskilled jobs. My mother was determined to get her diploma from the private school and three years later of night school she did.

My parents ended up getting back together and got married, but my father worked in a factory and my mother was a receptionist. My parents were so young and never had a chance to be financially stable, money went to bills, food or things needed for my brother. When my brother was a junior in high school, he ended up in the same situation as my parents, becoming a father he finished school online instead of with his friends. My brother having to pay child support worked as a car washer. As my grandparents were there for my parents, my parents were there for my brother.

Like my mother told my brother "please learn from our mistakes" she tells me the same thing. I see how difficult it has been for my family but we always can count on each other. In June, my parents and brother will finally be at a graduation ceremony. As I accept my diploma I will be accepting it for all us; we may not be perfect, but we are my family. With my family by my side, and my good judgment; I know, I will achieve any goal I set.
cakeislife - / 2  
Hi @lmmwill1, this essay asks you to help the committee understand "you" better so what I feel is maybe elaborate on HOW did the experiences of your parents and brother impact on you.

my dad dropped out of high school in his junior year
three yearslater of night school later she did
Lisa, you bring a unique perspective to the essay by simply telling the reviewer about your family background. The reasons why you want to succeed in life are clear even though you do not focus on a direct discussion of that in the essay. Knowing that you understand the plight of your family from the time is was created by the early pregnancy of your mother and the trials your parents faced to get their children to where they are now (albeit on different levels), shows the reviewer a perspective coming from stories you were told and what you saw was going on in your family. I would like you to add one personal perspective directly in relation to your brother being an unexpected father as such a young age. Add a point of view that explains how you felt about that considering everything your parents went through, then dial it back to you still being supportive of your brother. That should add more impact the already well written essay that you have here.

Home / Undergraduate / Supplemental UK perspective you bring or experiences you bring you've had to help us understand you