A support system to succeed at Georgia Tech

JuanSebastianR 23 / 63 37  
[b]Hello everyone. I am glad to be back here with you guys. I am applying to a Georgia Tech program that helps underrepresented students. I would like your input on the essay. I appreciate it!

Contributing to the P2P Program

When I stepped inside of Georgia Tech's campus back in July of 2016, I knew there was something special about this place. However, I had doubts whether to attend GT both for coming from a low-income background and for being a first generation student. Yet, I took the chance and accepted to attend. Joining the P2P program will help me succeed at Tech by acting as a support system to help me reach my goals, and similarly, with my sense of helping others and the "never give up" attitude, I hope to contribute back to the program.

My first semester at GT was very challenging for me. Adjusting to the new environment, the more rigorous course load, and being away from home were factors that made me think of giving up, but I never did. With the help of Jorge Breton from the Office of Hispanic Initiatives and Beatriz Rodriguez from the Center of Academic Success, I succeeded in my first semester. They both provided me with moral support, vital advice, and helped me plan my study schedule to develop better study habits. The truth is, I cannot do this alone. I need a home and a place where I can go whenever I am struggling, a support system like the one both Jorge and Beatriz offered me. The P2P program will be that support system.

I can now focus on my dreams and goals and what waits for me in the future. I want to continue my career at GT, taking advantage of all the opportunities that the school offers, from internships and co-op experiences, to study abroad and research programs. Having a mentor who can guide me in the right direction will help me make these experiences possible. My main goal is to work alongside a research professor that is working towards the advancement of propulsion technology, combined with the pursuit of finding life beyond Earth. Lastly, this goal in my career is so that I can continue my studies onto the graduate level.

How will I contribute to the P2P Program? By becoming a mentor and helping other incoming transfer students. I want to be a guide for them and provide them with the same support that others gave me this semester, to be there for them whenever they are thinking of giving up. I also wish to volunteer in communities and inspire students in any education level, encouraging them to seek higher education by sharing my story of how education changed my life.

Now that the semester is over, I no longer have doubts to being a Georgia Tech student. I realize that having a support system is imperative to my growth as a student and someone who wants to pursue graduate level education. I want to make the best of my time here, and the P2P program will allow me give back and inspire the next student that steps inside Georgia Tech for the first time.
Juan, what kind of mentor are you planning on becoming? Depending upon whether you will become a research mentor, ordinary mentor, research scholar, or mentee, you will have to display a specific type of skill and and abilities that can help you succeed. Your essay does not make any reference to the type of mentor you wish to become,. I think that is because you have focused the essay on your past experience at GT when what you should be focusing on is your future at the university as a student and as a mentor. You need to better align your plans for the job with the requirements of the specific mentor position that you are interested in. That way, you can create a clear idea regarding the position that you want, how you will enact the position, and what benefits you can offer and vice versa. Try to write a new essay after you have done complete research on the Peer 2 Peer Mentoring program. It is searchable.

Home / Undergraduate / A support system to succeed at Georgia Tech